PHOTO FUN week of 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TomPM said:
Deano
Awesome loco! BTW my dad helped build some of them when he worked at Baldwin.
THANKS TOM!:D WOW!!!:eek:, that is SO COOL that YOUR DAD worked at Baldwin:thumb:.

Dick, you are 100% CORRECT!!!:thumb:, and THANK YOU!!!:D

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
Deano, please let me know how it pulls. I've been thinking about getting one myself but I'm leery since it doesn't have traction tires and I have a 2 and a 3 percent grade on the club layout. Thanks a lot.

Dick
Texas Chief:wave:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Dick Elmore said:
Deano, please let me know how it pulls. I've been thinking about getting one myself but I'm leery since it doesn't have traction tires and I have a 2 and a 3 percent grade on the club layout. Thanks a lot.

Dick
Texas Chief:wave:
Dick, NO PROBLEM:thumb:. i will be putting a sound decoder in it by this weekend, so i will review it Sunday night;).

Steve, THANKS!:D GLAD you like it!:thumb:

:D -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Not to worry: Dean's going to patch it over as a U.P.
Wayne, that’s a good one :wave:

Deano, I can’t see what’s wrong with your lighting, I can see every detail of this beauty. If I was more into steamers, this would be the one I’d really like to have. I hope, it runs as good as it looks. Which decoder did you order for this engine?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Wow!! Great looking loco, Dean. I wasn't even aware that Intermountain was doing these locos: they've done a beautiful job.
Dean, that AC-9 was the one that had the cab where it was meant to be. :D They spent most of their time on the Rio Grande Division, assigned to fast freight service between El Paso, Texas and Tucumcari, New Mexico. In 1949-50, they were converted to burn oil, and transferred to the Salt Lake Division, to work the Modoc line between Alturas, California and Sparks, Nevada. They got there the long way, though, Sacramento/Gerber/Dunsmuir/Klamath Falls to Alturas, as they were too big to fit through the tunnels and snowsheds of the "Hill" for which the original Cab Forwards were designed. Incidently, the AC-4, a simple loco when built, was the first new class of AC: ACs -1 to -3 were rebuilds of earlier compound locos.

Wayne

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
UP SD40-2 said:
THANKS TOM!:D WOW!!!:eek:, that is SO COOL that YOUR DAD worked at Baldwin:thumb:.

My grade school was located across the street from the works. I used to walk past Baldwin everyday on the way to school. Sadly by that time it was Baldwin-Lima-Hamliton and they were pretty much closed down by then. NGuager has some stuff about the demise of the Baldwin Works on a local website.

My father left Baldwin when General Steel built their plant next to Baldwin. He helped build General Steel, worked there, and was on the crew that shut the place down in the early 60's.

Sadly the Baldwin Works are gone. There is a Walmart there now. The office towers, however, survived and are still standing today.

Status
Not open for further replies.