Photo Essay of Manayunk (Philadelphia) PRR Arch Bridge and more...

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Here's an outstanding photo essay page of Manayunk (a section of Philadelphia along the Schuylkill River) where the Reading and PRR ran thru the steep hills. Seems poignant having grown up there.

http://www.sandysorlien.com/manayunk/manayunk.html

There's a "signature" shot of the huge PRR concrete arched viaduct-like bridge crossing from Manayunk to the Bala Cynwyd side.

Check out the tatooed guy- has the span across his entire back. Talk about civic pride!!!

Then, there's a shot of East St. where I grew up (144 East Street) and in the background is the hillside I watched Reading 630s and SD-45s muscling coal drags. Not to mention seeing a "Reading Ramble" on a Sunday spring morning.

I thought the webpage layout was nice and since it's my RRs namesake- I'd pass the info.

More...
Here's a link to the Friends of The Manayunk Canal. It features some great- huge graphics with some history. Check out the maps link for an easy read of railroad/industrial development along a canal. The kids map is pretty neat. I sent an e-mail and they are going to send a copy, if interested- drop them a note.
The link-
http://www.manayunkcanal.org/

...more!

Mark

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
'magine my dilema trying to model controlled chaos!

'magine my dilema trying to model controlled chaos!

Here's a 15 (at least) year old shot overlooking Manayunk. The PRR bridge is to the right out of the pic. That's the READING across the river passing under the expressway. The lead to Venice Island crossing the Schuylkill River along the canal.

Nothing like modeling rooftops and chaos.

Mark

Attachments

• manayunk1s.jpg
    manayunk1s.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 146

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here are some pictures I found of the bridge and one of the last trains to go over it.

Location: Manayunk, Philadelphia PA. PRR Bridge over the Schulkyll River
Train: Philadelphia Chapter NRHS Reading Blueliner Special
Date: 1988 or 89

Attachments

• blue_man_1.jpg
    blue_man_1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 128

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
And here is another one.

Location: Manayunk, Philadelphia PA. PRR Bridge over the Schulkyll River
Train: Philadelphia Chapter NRHS Reading Blueliner Special
Date: 1988 or 89

Attachments

• blue_man_2.jpg
    blue_man_2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 126

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Whao-Excellent!

Whao-Excellent!

Thanks for the additional pics guys.

Funny that READING blueliners are the last to cross the PRR bridge. They did start some restoration to keep chunks of concrete from crushing cars and cracking heads. I hope the long term plan is to save it. It has been such a part of the "skyline" in Manayunk. It is quite an impressive structure.

The center vertical supports between the arches have a small arch shaped access opening. As a kid- okay I'd still do today, I always wanted to go from one end to the other through there. (Make note to ask Blake what he's doing in a couple of weeks)

Mark

P.S.- I'm looking thru muh RDG cars to see if I have a double door like yours Gary to duplicate that awesome car. I know I've seen one running the rails thru Lansdale, PA. kewl~~~~~~~

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
...and more!

Here's a link to the Friends of The Manayunk Canal. It features some great- huge graphics with some history. Check out the maps link for an easy read of railroad/industrial development along a canal. I say "a" because there are several canal driven development spots I know of- Paterson, NJ being another. The kids map is pretty neat.

The link-

http://www.manayunkcanal.org/

Among the many industries that were built here was the Container Corp. of America- had an uncle that walked 5 miles to and then from work everyday as a color mixer. Right across the way was Mr's Pauls- the fishstick people. Never a lack of traffic here.

Anyway...

...more!

Mark