Phoenix, Adobe Mountain Train Park

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah, it looks like it's time for the Adobe Mountain train show and swap meet.

The date: Sat, March 24th
The time: 9 AM till 3 PM
The Place: Adobe Mountain Train Park, Pinnacle Peak Rd. west of I17
Admission: $4

I plan on being there. Jerry (Woodone) and I will be going together. I think TrainNut said he'd be there too. I don't recall ever buying anything at any of the tables there, usually it's kinda slim pickings for N scalers, but I like to go anyway, just to see what's going on and to see what kind of progress they've made on their layouts. Plus you'll never know who you'll run into either.sign1 sign1

Let us know who's going to be there so we can be looking for you all..:wave: :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just a reminder, tomorrow is the day. We'll be looking for you there, even if it rains.... and it's suppose to rain around the valley, but you never know until you get there if it's raining where you're headed.:wave: We went to the shooting range up on the Carefree Highway/I-17 yesterday. It was pouring on Bell Rd/I-17 and barely trickling up there. By the time we got to the trap range and got ready to shoot, it was dry out.

The point is, don't let the rain scare you away. On the other hand, if you get soaked, don't blame me, blame Mother Nature...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Well, like I said, you never know if it's raining where you're going until you get there. I was raining at my house and all the way up to the train park, sometimes hard. The rain cleared when we got there and it stayed that way for the rest of the morning. Anyone that didn't go because it was raining, missed out...:D :D

I was surprised that there was as much N scale there. Most recent shows here have had lots of G and little N. This one had a little G and a bit more N. Still, those that were selling their N scale were very proud of it and had prices that ranged into the list price and then some. Jerry (Woodone) and I got there just about at opening and we stayed about an hour and a half. I bought one tank farm kit and a box of stuff that included eight streetlights, two lighted RR crossings a bag of ballast and some other junk, all for $5. :thumb: Jerry went home empty-handed.

Ray Marrinaccio and his family came down from Dewey, and Combat and TrainNut were there as well. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

These are always fun to go to regardless of whether you buy something or not and it was great talking to some other Gaugers.

woodone

Hi Jesso,
How are things up there in St George.
Well I was going to take the camara, but forgot to it put in the truck.:eek:ops: I drove up to Don's (ezdays) place and it rained all the way. About 20 miles. Got to Don's place and it was still raining. Well we went to the railroad park anyway. When we got there (about 9 AM) it had cleared up :thumb: ah no rain! Don and I took a quick trip around and saw quit a bit of N scale, I did not find any thing that I could not live without so came home empty handed.
We did see TrainNut, Combat, and I meet Ray. so all was not lost.
Don picked up some things so it was a good day!
I did get to see Don's layout and the church that he had scratchbuilt. (NICE)
Sorry about the photos, no camara no pictures:cry: Maybe next trip I wont forget.

COMBAT

Its true, I was there. I got this stuff and at great prices too. :) I almost felt like I stole some of it. :eek:ops:
THIS UNIT: $2.00
MVC-003F.JPG

THIS UNIT: $1.00
MVC-004F.JPG

$10.00 FOR BOTH
MVC-005F.JPG

$7.00 FOR THIS ONE
MVC-006F.JPG

OK, the last one. I want guesses on the price.

MVC-007F.JPG

Got a guess?

MVC-008F.JPG

Still no guess?
MVC-010F.JPG

LAST CHANCE TO GUESS!
MVC-011F.JPG

I PAID $ 1.00 for my mail truck! :D :D

See ya next time at the sales! :wave:

Ray Marinaccio

We had a good time.
We found a few good deals (only 3 arm loads carried back to the truck).
I haven't gotten any photos yet (still sorting it out).

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Ray, Combat,
Sorry I missed you. I was looking but it was pretty busy there. Since I used to be part of this place, I felt obligated to arrive a little early and help with the set up. Plus, my official T-shirt got me free admission and early entry. Jesso, I did have my camera but due to the rain, it was still in my truck when I found Don and Jerry. It did come out later though for the following pictures. As you can see, there was a pretty good turnout and this was a pretty good swap meet. I purposely took no cash and left the checkbook at home as I have safely (a wife term) spent quite a bit of money on the home layout lately and did not want to put myself in the dog house. That decison 'bout killed me. I think I could have dropped about $300 easy at this meet.

DCP_5281_low_res.jpg

Later on, I came across another friend who had brought one of his new toys but was feeling too "old" to run it around. So, I obliged and played engineer for about an hour and a half so he could sit, rest, and watch his train go 'round n 'round - It's the little trio of yellow coaches jaunting along on the outdoor G scale layout.

DCP_5284_low_res.jpg

DCP_5282_low_res.jpg

The same friend also noticed that I was eyeing a couple of G scale coaches and a n scale caboose and loaned me some bills for their purchase. I left my cash and checkbook at home and still spent money... somebody elses money. Doggonit.

DCP_5288_low_res.jpg

While I am mostly into N scale, I'm a sucker for anything trains and I would dearly have loved to have gotten that G scale Rio Grande diesel sitting close to the entrance. The other table I could have dropped some serious cash at was the guy selling the beautiful little weathered HOn3 freight cars that would have gone perfectly behind the narrow guage K24 I hope to be getting in Durango this summer.

In all, I had a blast all day. I popped inside to watch the HO scale and the N scale layouts for a little while and I even got over to the live steamers area but activity was sparse.

Combat, good scores by the way. Ray, I trust we will see some pictures of some of your finds as well?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Nice shots of the show, like Jerry, I meant to bring my camera but remembered about half-way there.:eek:ops: :eek:ops: I was wondering where you disappeared to, I didn't look for you there. BTW, I was wondering what happened to that section of the layout that you had finished and is now tore all apart and missing some of the buildings you had there...

Great finds, I know they were there, but as I said, the N scale guys that were selling were really there for profit, not to get rid of anything. I saw HO cars for $2, while junk cars in N were selling for $3 and good ones for $6 to $10 each. There were a few N trucks there, $10 each. I can buy two from Walthers at that price. I saw two junk steam engines in N for $20 each. One was falling apart in the box. Several people were trying to sell those non-scale promotional dummy engines worth about fifty-cents for $3 to $5 each. I paid $3 for the one kit, and I offered the guy $5 for two kits marked $3 each and his reply was, "what's marked on the box"... Half the fun of a "swap meet" is to get something for a bit less than it's marked, so I put one item back and he'll probably not sell it. I could tell, he was a dealer and not just someone that was trying to get rid of stuff they didn't need anymore.

jesso

Wow, those are pretty impressive pictures, I've never seen a outdoor layout that big. Looks like you guys got some great deals on things. I am going to have to ask around if anything like that happens up north or in Vegas, as I know it doesn't happen here. Even our "Train Show" is actually more of an open house, we are able to get the local hobby shop to donate some gift certificates, but there is no selling going on. It must be nice to be able to see some a large group of train enthusiasts.

Lastly, Trainnut, I think that the tunnels on your layout are going to have to be enlarged to get those cars through:D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
ezdays said:
BTW, I was wondering what happened to that section of the layout that you had finished and is now tore all apart and missing some of the buildings you had there...
That was just one of the many reasons I got frusturated and let my dues lapse. I had that whole hillside almost complete. We had not glued the track down inside the tunnel just yet and so I had a fault line that ran the entire width of the slope so that I could still lift off the whole top of the hill until the track was finished underneath. One night, when I was not there, one of the other members thought they would "help out" and filled in the entire length of the crack with an inch wide slobbering of hydrocal. The next time I went out and discovered the "fix", I tried to surgically remove the top of the hill as before but ended up destroying so much of the hillside that I ended up throwing the whole thing away and starting over. After that (among many other things), I pretty much lost interest, quit going and built my own layout at home.

N

nachoman

Wish I could have made this one...

but once again the laundry list of other things to do, lack of money, brother in town...

sigh. 'Tis okay. I still have heaps of projects I still need to finish. The last thing I need is something new to work on!

kevin