Philippine Railways (PNR) #918

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I found her in San Pablo, Laguna, ready to depart with a mixed train to Manila.

Attachments

• 600eng-on-918-2.jpg
    600eng-on-918-2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 600eng-on-918.jpg
    600eng-on-918.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 600gauges.jpg
    600gauges.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 600gauges2.jpg
    600gauges2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 187
  • engineer-and-trainee2.jpg
    engineer-and-trainee2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 187

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
TY :D

75-80% of me is back, but 20-25% is somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, which includes unfortunately, most of my brain. I was standing on firm land Wed AM, went to sleep for almost 24 hours, got up stumbled around, fixed some plumbing problems and attempted to sleep again. I slept last night from 1 AM to 2 AM, but htat was all. So now I'm running on fumes :D

PNR former self the MRR

Hi, ..... I've found this pic in the web long time ago. This is the picture of the Manila RailRoad Co, the predecessor of the government-owned Philippine National Railways. This and others (named train such the Mayon Express and the Bicol Express) were a common sights in both the MRR(PNR).s South and North Lines in the 50's and almost late 60's. Philippine rail was stunted by the proliferation of better (then)roads-highways. The loco is identifed as GE12 Class 2000.

Farouk

Hi to all : Being a Filipino, it's a great thrill to see the PNR here!!! Great work Jon-Monon.

I found this pic long time ago in the web. The pic depicthe predecessor of the present government-owned PNR, the Manila Railroad Co. or, MRR. The loco is identdified as GE Class 2000 (G.E.12C ?). The likes and some others (of named train such Bicol Expresss and the Mayon Express as well as the Dau Express) were common sights in both the MRR(PNR)'s south and north lines in the 50's and up to the end of the 60's. The proliferation of better (then) roads/highways
stunted the development of railway/railroad in the Philippines.
Regards to all

Attachments

• B) Class 2000 Circa 1960's.jpg
    B) Class 2000 Circa 1960's.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 154
Hi, Jon-Monon :

Yes, Filipino thru and thru and ethnic Tausug tribe from the south (Mindanao). I've been in contact with Tyson and told me of your vacation in Philippines. "Kumusta baga ang Batangas?" Still saying ALA E! I guess.

Is this the one moderated by Brad Peadon from Australia? Yes, and I'm a registered member. But don't post (never, I would say)because there's nothing I can say thereabout.

PNR used to beTHE wonderful thing of past. I had (as 4th grader) my first train ride in 1958 when my father took the family for a train ride on the Bicol Express. The trip started in Tutuban and ended up in Legazpi. In those days there was not yet the South Super Highway (you know that). In that strip of land from the Magallanes/Buendia Junction up to Muntinlupa were ricefields. And this is what one saw on his right train window as the train sped on its southern run.... Well, in the name of development that thing is only in someone's memory!!!

Oh, by the way I just took delivery of a HO scale model of the PNR (918) train you had driven. This is G.E. U20-C from Frateschi from Brazil.....It's undecorated and still undecided whether to paint it PNR or my "railroad" Jolo Coastal Railroad :)confused:

Salamat (thanks) for the welcome...MABUHAY

Farouk

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Ah yes, Mactan, my memory changed it to Magtan, and my poor typing skills changed it further to Magatan :) I was actually there working on the military side of the air strip, along with the good Philippine Air Force men and their T38s (???), remember those radial engine fighters? Lovely they were. They were US trainers from the Korean war era converted for actual combat with machine guns and through the glass ejection seats (ouch). I have a lot of pictures. I was only there a few weeks and have forgotten the few words I learned. Now I only remember a little Tagalog and only 3 words of Bicol. Tagalog ko bulok. Bicol ko pinaka mabulok! I met up with the same Filipino squadron in Palawan on another occasion.

Yes, I was speaking of Brad's group. I was the last to post a message there (PK Lumber Co).

The model sounds great! Love to see a picture of it!

I longed to ride the train from Manila to Naga City. We did go to Bicol (Talisay, near Daet), but my wife insisted we take a van :( So I missed the big train ride, but I have a promise that next time we can take the train and visit Mayon Volcano (again). So I was a little dissappointed, and thought my rail fanning experiance would be nil. But on the way to Bicol, I snapped a shot as I passed a railroad crossing, just hoping to get a glimpse at the track condition. Then when I viewed the photo, I noticed I had captured several small wooden/gasoline powered speeders! Do you think they are PNR approved? :D :D :D

Attachments

• lagunaspeederarea2-640.jpg
    lagunaspeederarea2-640.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 86
  • lagunaspeeder2brt.jpg
    lagunaspeeder2brt.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 72
  • lagunaspeeder-640.jpg
    lagunaspeeder-640.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 77
Those wooden roller-bearing wheeled speeders are "very, very poor man's rail transportation" running between two "barangays" (townlets) that are not within the PNR regular stops. And, these are not authorized ( as far as I know ) by PNR as these enterprising "speeders" operators usually play cat-mouse with PNR MOW.

Yes, I have a soft spot for that aircraft. That is a North American T-28 Trojan, a gtwo-seater advanced trainer converted into a COIN (counter-insurgency) aircraft by fitting 20mm cannons and rocket slings under the wings. I saw these them in operations against the MNLF in Mindanao in 1974-75 ( I hope I'm not inappropriate here discussing aircraft:confused:)

Here's the picture showing the two Frateschi rendition of GE's U20-C and U8-B. Notice the odd couplers in both the locos? PNR is using the knuckle coupler, ala-North American and yet the gauge is called "Cape Gage" of 42" (standard of South Africa, hence the name).

It's 2:09am over here. Don't wonder that I'm still up. I'm observing the fast in Ramadhan and I'm about to take my obligatory pre-dawn meal. afterwhich, I'll either hit the sack or go to mosque for the dawn prayer.....

Best regards to all....

Farouk

Attachments

• U20C & U8B-LEFT FRONT.jpg
    U20C & U8B-LEFT FRONT.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 73

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Oh, yes they were T28's. Neat and very powerful too. I think your OK on the off-topic, especially since you posted train pics :D :D :D

I love the models! And I'll second Tysons request for more pictures! We would love to see any of your work.

How long will you fast?

jon-monon said:
I found her in San Pablo, Laguna, ready to depart with a mixed train to Manila.

Jon,
Some great piccies mate is always great to see more Philippine stuff.
I took some shots inside 921 during January. Workcover would love to see the large hole in the floor of that one :)

Cheers
Brad Peadon
Philippine Railways
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html