pfs spring 07 kitbuild challenge

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Just digging out tools, supplies etc. Due to space and a young son everything is in bins untill needed.

I will be building a Green Max no 38. (N Gauge).

Here is an image from the box

box.detail.jpg

Not quite sure of what direction I want yet.

Will post more when I do.

Cheers

pfs (paul)

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Okay been busy (read:lazy) about posting update(s).

Snuck in an hour or two over a few evenings.

Decided to paint the structure a 'pale' blue, ended up mixing 3 parts BAR BLUE to 1 part BAR GREY (and the first time I have used windex as a thinner/flow agent...I will never use distilled water again). I was initially unhappy with the color, but I think with weathering it will end up close to what I imagined.

Here is a shot after the base color, masked the doors.

1.jpg

After painting the 'base' concrete (Woodland Scenics)

2.jpg

Then right after this silly mock up shot....

3.jpg

I was able to bump the table sending some pieces towards the floor, you know I had to try to catch one of them. I did such a good job I did this.....
4.jpg

Needless to say I called myself every name in the book, but it really isnt too bad. I hope I can glue and cover with weathering.

However I will go outside the challenge rules and use some styrene to shore up the break from behind.

-p

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I like that building alot. What brand is that?

I like the color you choose. And I'm sure no one will object to you using some styrene to reiforce the break. Please post more photos of your progress:thumb:

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Looks like I got lucky, its going to look okay after the repair.

5.jpg

I tend to over-engineer

6.jpg

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Gary S. said:
I like that building alot. What brand is that?

I like the color you choose. And I'm sure no one will object to you using some styrene to reiforce the break. Please post more photos of your progress:thumb:

Its a Green Max no 38 (Japaneese make)

Thanks.

Paul

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
I know your pain, I see all kinds of excellent structures, every kind of engine with or without dynamic brakes, a million and one detail parts etc etc...only in HO !! ;)

The reason I discovered this brand is due to this kit: (which I plan on building once my skills improve)

GMX-37.gallery.jpg

Its the same 'mold' as the one I am building, just has all the nice accessories.

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
I never had a defined idea about the roof, I have been going back and forth about the base color. After a search or two I am going to try a faint/pale green.

like this (hope the hotlink works)
overview2.jpg

Going to start with some PC Green and add grey and white.

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
I ended up using some coach green with bar grey (scored a lot of mix and match on ebay). Happy with the color, I added some ink wash (both blk and white and mixed them as well). Wont prob get much done over the remainder of the week.

Sorry about the poor lighting in these....

7.jpg

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Found a little time last night to play with the roof sections.
They are pretty much done untill assembly.

9.jpg

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
Thanks!

Got a gluing jib (ebay) in the mail today, excited to move forward so I can use it. Need to paint the doors (small) prob will use off white and orange not sure. ANd I want to do some more detal painting/weathering before I glue the structure together.

pfs

Mar 22, 2007
DETROIT
I did not make the deadline, I tried to get a quick start, I knew that work would hinder efforts going forward. Just wanted to post progress, not looking for any votes.

I still have final details and weathering to do to the building. I will 'sink/embed' track into formboard, detail surrounding area, add parking etc.

When I get a chance to finally finish I will post final photos.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg