Pfalz D.IIIa from Dewaynes site

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nope! I work in information systems for American Family insurance. I am in the storage services department. Its a pretty busy oncall.
    Chris
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes, working on a cyclone bike at the moment and about 6 other models on the sidelines including my unfinished Haunted Mansion for the calendar.

Hope you can squeeze some time in on your Pfalz this weekend, looking forward to seeing more of this beauty!

Russell
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry for the lack of progress. I got the struts built up for the wings - not photoworthy. I realized I hadnt put the little cover thingies on at the wing roots and figured I better do that. It turned out horrible. I colored the edged and on one side I slipped and plop right on the wing about 1/4 inch out to far. Left a red glue smear there and I swore and when trying to move it I hit the fuselage and left a nice smear there. I dont see how I can fix it without starting over so I guess I will just have to make the other side the prominent display. These thigs have been tough for me for every darn plane I have built. I will get some pics up and get one in my own oops contest thread (no points for me though - but people with suggestions will still get points!)

Thats why no progress - after that I was too peeved to look at it....
    Chris
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Been there brother, been there.

My favorite screw up I hate to mention is swiping a loaded paint brush across something while trying to touch something else up. Inevitable...

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks for the notes guys. Just been kinda burned out since being on call. I need a couple good nights sleep to recharge then hope to be back at it again.
    Chris
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I hear you Chris! After a few days of the job It's generally a day before I can unwind before touching anything like a model, unless its Cindy Crawford or something!
  7. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

I have covered up some of my huge mistakes including glue smears with a piece of drab green tissue paper glued on like a patched rip. A couple "stiches" per side of the patch with a paint brush and it's done. It works. I got the idea after seeing a patch on the fuselage of a real one.
    DeWayne
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Hey DeWayne,

Any update on the possible upgrade kit for the earlier Pfalz models?
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's an idea I've used a couple times. Print the smeared up parts on regular paper. Cut out the messed up sections and glue them directly over the goof up like a decal ;)

G1
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The decal idea would make too much relief for me. I like th patch idea - got any pics of it in action? When I post this to the oops contest I would like you guys to suggest these ideas (again) ;) points for you!
    Chris
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well there sure are a lot of build threads going on - mine is wayyyyyyy down the list! This is great!

Here is what peeved me off... (and I put it in the oops contest)

I was putting the covers on the wing roots and it slipped out of my finger and smack right onto the wing. I couldnt get a grip on it and it stuck. Wrecked the wing. Then I started it wrong and couldnt tell and the blasted thing didnt line up at the back. I think Iwill trim that up when I am done being angry about it. (yeah its been a while but I am getting over it) heh heh

I wont be fixing the main oops though. I want to get on to my sons plane so I can take it to the model show.....

[​IMG]

p.s. will put this in the build thread too since its part of it!
    Chris
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Ouch! That looks exactly like something I'd do (and have done!)

You're right about the build threads. Most I've seen since I've been cruising around here (only since August, but still...)

I guess it's contagious. Or maybe there's just more build activity in Winter? No matter, I say you can't have too many, and I'm always interested in checking in on this one!

Rick
  13. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

I too hate the oops factor. In your case, print the wing again on light 20 lb paper and cut out a section to match the panel. If you do it for both sides you have balance. I have taken to making the wing roots out of light weight paper and tacking them in place and after the glue is dried, then applying the glue and pulling them over with a forceps. Nice color and I think an easy save.

John
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Fillets are the hardest thing for me also. Big fingers...........compound curves.

I too have gone to a light weight paper for just such occasions.

You know............. you could scuff that up a bit and make it look like it's boot wear from the pilot climbing in and out of the cockpit..........:)
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

To fix that wing scuffing part, you could cut 1 strip of the grey color out of thinner paper and fit it up to the fillet. Heck that's what I do and the fault finder gets fooled!
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think I will try weathernig it a bit first then try patching it. Thanks for the tips guys! Helps me feel better about it - maybe a nicer model can come out of it :D
    Chris
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well folks, I got the top wing on the bugger. Note to self - take lots of extra time on the top wing of a biplane - Its really long and tends to warp.... It warped like crazy. Too much glue on the internal support I think. the internal support is basically a long rectangle that spans nearly the entire length of the wind - its about 2 mm thick with internal braces inside that.

Luckily when I attached the braces between the two wings it straightened out fairly well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good! This is why I shy away from the multiwingers.
  19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very very nice, Chris!
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looking good Chris! Real nice strut work there, buddy!

Russell