Pfalz D.IIIa from Dewaynes site

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks Carl. This one is a learning experience for me since its a new type of build. I think the next one will be better when I manage to get to it :)
    Chris
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looking good, Chris!
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My progress for the evening. Forward fuselage and engine compartment.... The fuse went together awesome - almost could have built itself. I did have a couple minor fit problems with the compartment and nose though. I had to trim about 1/8 inch off the top of the engine compartment to get it to slide in - no biggie. Also the most forward part of the fuse right behind the disc the prop glues too did not close completely to make a circle. added a piece of cardstock here to fill in. Looks ok.

Pics here along with a gratuitous shot of enemy number one waiting for me to drop something.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow! When did you find time to build that cat? Is the fur little strips of paper? Oh, the plane looks real good, too!:grin:
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Funny you should mention building that cat.... made this just before xmas - easy build and turned out well :)
    [​IMG]

Carl: and I fixed it without even asking a question about it - pretty amazing eh?!?!?!

I cant belvieve how much white shows on that join right behind the compartment. It doesnt look that bad in real life honest! must be the darn flash.

oh yeah, she chews cardboard and paper if she gets close enough....
    Chris
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hey, Carl, thanks for another secret (don't worry, I'll keep it under wraps also).

Keep it coming on this great plane, Chris!
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

secret, what secret, I dont know nuthin! :)

yep, the engine is next! Iknow how much you like htose things Carl :D
    Chris
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's another add on tip to Carl's, if you need to sneak in a little glue, add paint to the glue, it tints it just right and if a little squeezes out it blends in. I use this for those strips between wing and fuselage. Your bird is lookin' good! On to that engine!
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here we go! The engine block is complete. The muffler is done too but looks kinda flat for my taste so no pics of that until its on - I may try to puff it up a bit somehow. Overall I am very happy with how the engine went together. Not so many parts to get tedious but plenty of parts to give it some decent detail. Not boring and not overdone - just right in my opinion. Oh yeah, the glue was still a bit wet on the intakes - I just couldnt let the commander get another post in before me on his planeS!
    Chris

Notice the close proximity of enemy #1 in the first pic.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Good looking on the engine, Chris!
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking good, 6 cylinders and all. You are one brave, fate tempting, kat loving dude! I don't mind kat, as long as it's marinated well.
  13. josve

josve Active Member

I got goosebumps when I spotted enemy #1 there Chris!
    So please don't feed it with engines :) It might end up consuming the whole model!
    Nice engine!!
    Those papertubes are a h*** to make....
  14. Richard

Richard Member

my progress

thought I'd pop in a couple of pics to show my progress on this model(building an other version though)
    As for the exhaust, I laminated it to a reasonable thickness(just over 1mm) and sanded the edges a bit.

Cheers,
    Richard

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

So thats how the yolk goes together! Yours looks to be a more detailed version - what are you making? Looks superb though. Can you mail me an engine for my plane? :)
    Chris
  16. Richard

Richard Member

more detailed? guess you have to add a couple more parts to the engine, Chris.
    Must admit that this engine added a couple more grey hairs to the already growing collection:), especially the tiny parts on the front and the intake tubes.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I was going to ask how you rolled those so wella nd got them togther nearly seamlessly. I was struggling throughout on those intakes. Got a pic of the straight exhausts gb?
    Thanks!
    Chris
  18. Richard

Richard Member

Chris,

these straight exhausts are only available with Max Holztem's conversion

Richard
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

A pic would be nice though - I can always scratch build it if I like them better. I like the layering with cardstock option too.... moist likely go with the more flattened one now though - I want to move on.... ;)
    Chris
  20. Richard

Richard Member