Pfalz D.IIIa from Dewaynes site

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Going to take my first shot at building one of these. Not likely to be a build thread for this one but I have a question and will likely have more. I cant figure what thickness to make the parts that appear should be laminated (numbers printed in red) This is the stallion paint job :) Might snap some shots along the way if anyone is interested.....
    Thanks
    Chris
    [​IMG]
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

For Marek kits .5 mm up to 1mm for laminated stuff seems ok. I'd like to see this go together, Haven't built a WW1 bird yet so you have my attention.
  3. josve

josve Active Member

Interesting aircraft there Chris!
    Please post shots as you move along!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ok, will do! I looked more and its odd that some totally look like normal parts and a few (not many) look like they have wire inserted in them so I will laminate those to a thickness to accomodate my wire. I will just laminate internal formers to that same thickness. about .5 mm

Off today and hope to build!
    Chris
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm very interested! At some point I want to do something from DeWayne/Marek. Please show all you can!

Rick
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I finished scoring last night and this has some great details on it - engine is going to be particularly nice if I can get it right. :D From what I see now, I think this kit could use some renumbering to at least convey build sequence since it only has diagrams to follow..... will start with the cockpit of course thats fairly far down the numbering sequence.
    Chris
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Go ahead Chris! I too am building 2 models from DeWayne/Marek, and they are very good detailed. Soon I'll post pics of the P51 & the Me109Bf, almost done with these 2.

Good point on the fact that these kits are "build by numbers". I learned that the hard way at the beginning. Also with the laminating, as Carl says.

I recomend very much these kits.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

If anyone has built this plane before can you enlighten me as to what parts 26a thru 26c are for? They look like internal formers for something but to heck if I understand them...
    Thanks
    Chris

[​IMG]
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

They are the middle spars for the lower wing. Look down at the last page of diagrams, they are buried in the other details but there. There are also similar parts for the upper wing also.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I saw it on the diagram but it doesnt make sense to me. Does this go inside the fuselage and its what the lower wing hooks into?or heck, is the bottom wing one piece that I hook altogether? I kinda thought it was two separate pieces that went into the fuselage. After I start, maybe it will make sense - thats what happened with the ki-115 anyway :) well that and golden bears help :)
    Chris
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I see this is a former to former build for a good chunk of the fuselage! I have never done one before so I will see how that goes too. I assume the formers go right on the end of each section then the two formers get glued together? Or do the formers go a couple milimeters inside the sections and the sections get butt joined together? :D
    Thanks!
    Chris
    p.s. ever notice my build threads start out with more questions than anything else - mayeb I need to learn to just dive in instead of analyzing and figuring things out up front.....
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Chris, look at the Maly 109 G build thread, there is a little advice on that type of construction, it actually works out pretty well, good luck!
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

my laminating ended up being about .75 mm I hope it turns out well. 3 sheets of 110lb plus the printed sheet of 65lb bright white. Thanks for the tips! I am going to have to look over that whole thread gb :)
    Chris
  14. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Chris - Marek's "standard" method of construction has one using .5 to .8mm doublers for parts whose numbers are in red. This is actually stated on a few of his older models. The bulkhead formers are glued flush with the ends of the fuselage sections and then the sections are glued former-to-former to each other. As has been noted in many other threads this type of construction demands that the former pairs be exactly the same size/shape. I have built a few of Marek's designs and generally have no problems with fit but occasionally have been mystified by the positioning (or need) for a piece or two. I have one of the repainted Pfalz D.IIIs working also but botched the fuselage so I need to reprint/redo.

Parts 26, 26A, 26a, 26B and 26C form wing stubs that the two lower wing panels butt-glue to. First, 26A passes through the fuselage at the slots cut in skin #1. Then 26B goes in the slots in 26A and then 26C goes on the ends. This is then skinned with 26 and 26a. The black dots on 26C and 25A are for wire alignment pins as noted by Carl above. I hope this helps...
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You guys are awesome. I just finished reading carls build thread and that helpded immensely. Wish I had spotted it before I started - I see he spent a lot of time staring at the same parts I am.....
    Chris
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Cockpit done!
    All and all went together well - fit was perfect almost no detail which is fine I suppose as you cant see much anyhow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. sakrison

sakrison Member

I built Marek's SSW D-iii in 1/33 scale (also from DeWayne's site). It was a nice, well-designed kit, with no quirks that I remember. Nice looking model, too. Sorry, no photo. It's in the exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh.
    For rigging, I used a needle and thread. With the camo pattern on the wings, I could just burnish over any needle holes and they disappeared.

It was my first WWI aircraft in paper and I plan to do more. If you don't want to write a whole build thread, just keep track of any difficulties, and anything you really like about the kit, and give us a summary review when you're done.

No worries,
    --David
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I will take pics every now and again when I feel needed :)
    I finished up the fuselage from teh cockpit back. I decided not to take too many pics as its rather straightforward. However I dont like former joins.... THey line up really well but leave little gaps. Next time I will set them back maybe a mm and butt join the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Something to make the alignment a little smoother is to do a final shaping of the two joining formers by pinning together and sanding the final shape so you get a perfect match between the fuselage sections. Also you can sand the joining surfaces to reduce the uneven surface. I keep sandpaper glued to a flat piece of oak just for that. A couple slow even strokes across the sandpaper and you have eliminated anything that will cause the components not to have a perfect join. Touch up the edges with chalk dust or watercolor and there you have it.

Looks good so far. Keep at it.

DeWayne
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

GREAT suggestions :) I got lots more of the circus to build! :D
    Chris