Petticoat Junction/Green Acres?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Do memories abound???

I can't help ya if your memory fails you. I loved them both as a youngster. They started playing Green Acres on the cable channels again here. Arnold Ziffel, Uncle Joe- the girls- oh man how I wanted that they should rise above that water tower before grabbing their...of course I was pre-teen (you noticed I mentioned the pig first?).

I posted a pic that got me to thinking how that TV show took me somewhere I wish existed. The link is here but I wanted to know if there were any thoughts, more so, on memories you'd share about those old shows. It conjers up Sunday nights wrapped in blankets with my parents on a sofa and happy feelings.

Mark (an old hard headed softie):curse:
Link to PJ Pic

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've seen a couple of epsiodes of Green Acres just lately on cable. Ahhh, what fun! I always enjoyed the confused banter of Mr. Kimball and the way the entire community seemed to embrace absurdity while Mr. Douglas was completely unable to fathom it. I also enjoyed those long winded inspiring speeches he'd make while the Battle Hymn of the Republic or Yankee Doodle played in the background. I was just old enough to appreciate how attractive Lisa and the Petticoat Jct. girls were ( I kinda liked Morticia Adams too so what does that say about my range of taste?! :) ) but I will admit to really liking any scene on Green Acres or Petticoat Jct with the train. The engineer and fireman were folksy and everyone knew 'em. I thought they had the perfect job. Oh, and there was the lady carpenter named Ralph...I heard about that plenty from my friends. :D
Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Like that old rustic water tower in the link!
Ralph

Medicine Man

Dec 17, 2003
Medicine Hat Alberta
Visit site
I have even gone to the point of haveing the PettiCoat Junction (as best as I could duplicate from the shows web sight)on my layout. Got the Shadyrest,Sam Drucker's store,Water tower(of coarse!!!),station plateform with pathway to the SR.
I even have the CannonBall!!!! The 4-6-0 with 63" driver's pulling the lone Combine.

Yes I know the show was in Tennesee not Kentucky,but I will alow myself this one indescrestion to relive those childish memorie's.

MM

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
So none of you remember Casey Jones? "Steamin' and a rollin'"?? on the Cannoball Express, With Alan Hale (The Skipper in Gilligan's Island)??

casey-jones.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot MCL! Now I've got the Petticoat Junction theme song in my head!!

There's a little hotel called the Shady Rest at the junction.
Petticoat Junction
It is run by Kate, come and be her guest at the junction.
Petticoat Junction
And that's Uncle Joe, he's a-movin' kinda slow at the junction,
Petticoat Junction.

:D :D :D :D

Val

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Oh yes, I used to watch "Petticoat Junction" around 20+ years ago, great TV show that was.
Shamus

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
The aspect that I enjoyed most was that a city girl, Lisa (Zaa Zaa Gabore ):thumb: :thumb: ) fit in to the absurdity of the community better than Oliver, who wanted to move there in the first place, did. Plus I got a kick out of the numbering system that they had for the electrical outlet. Coffee maker, a 3. Iron, a 6. Now, can the mixer be plugged in too? Also the 4 pots of coffee, black, with sugar, with cream and with cream and sugar. :D :D :D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
..................... and Hooterville was just a Hoot & a holler from Petticoat Junction, which was a stone's throw from Pixley (Where the Beverly Hillbillies Lived), which was a shout & a hop from Mayberry.

LOL - All pretty good shows!!! :)

and Val -

After "Joe" passed away :( :(

There's a little hotel called the Shady Rest at the junction.
Petticoat Junction
It is run by Kate, come and be her guest at the junction.
Petticoat Junction
She's a lady indeed, she's as pretty as can be, at the junction,
Petticoat Junction.

btw - Right here there is a Doctor Demento song.... Green Acres words, put to The Beatles' A day in the life Music - It's soooo cooool!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thankyou MM,

I too have that 4-6-0 woodburner and have been resisting the temptation to add the necessary details. I'd love to see a picture of your Cannonball pulling in to the Junction.

Hi N Gauger,

I didn't get to see all of those shows first hand in England so some of my memories are quite a bit shorter than most. I didn't realise they all lived within athletic feats of one another, so what's the story on Kate and cousin Pearl? Although light and fluffy the old stuff holds up well compared to the trite and banal offerings of today.

To get seriously trivial the Beverley Hillbillies also lived in an English castle for a few episodes. The 'castle' was actually Penshurst Place a rather nice Manor house about 6 miles away from my village. I didn't see any of them. To digress further, Penshurst Place was the birthplace of William Penn, he went off to America to found a colony. At the end of the driveway in the village of Penshurst there is a house that was the birthplace of General Wolfe, he went to Canada. We could walk to Enid Blyton's house from here but A.A.Milne's place was a bit of a hike. Yes I have played Pooh sticks off the same bridge that Christopher Robin did but I felt childish as I was a grown up 12 year old.

Who started this thread on memories..

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com