Pete's Pickup

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
During a foray into Toys 'R' Us, I found a Matchbox 1:43 (roughly O scale) Mack 1923 fire truck... The last one for half price. I wish they'd had a half-dozen. These are wonderful little models. They're held together with three small machine screws, making kitbashing a snap. This little feller is in the process of becoming a small railtruck. I cannot claim any individuality of this idea, as I've seen something similar for sale...at a cost of over $200 USD:eek: :eek: However, my pocketbook managed to handle the ten bucks for this little guy.

The wheels were removed, and replaced with MDC HO scale truss rod trucks. I will replace the plastic wheels with metal ones. The water tank on the back was removed, and will become a small backwoods critter refuelling station. (Hey - 2 models in one!)

Stripping the paint was a big job, considering the diminutive size of this model. A thick layer of red metallic paint was covered by an equally thick layer of clearcoat, resulting in a beautifully lustrous finish, but an incredible amount of work to get (most of it) off.

Here is a shot of the mostly stripped cab and frame.

Attachments

• pete's pickup.jpg
    pete's pickup.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 293

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Oh to be modeling in O or G where you can find neat vehicles like you did. The truck makes a good project and you look like you are having fun doing this. Nice work.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Thanks, All!

Just a quick note of thanks to everyone who had something kind to say. You folks are great.

Andrew... Have you looked at the Jordan vehicles?
Tyson... I can't imagine trying to strip N scale vehicles!
Greg... I agree. It's going to be a right challenge to power this guy. I'll get to that later.
Pete... Even at 1/43, this little truck is still little. This is soooo much easier in O scale.
Chris... Yes, always keeping an eye out, as I'll bet you do!
Robin... These trucks are available in HO, but as to N scale...??
Val... No kidding. One of these would be great in one of your back yards as someone's "resto" project!
Satokuma... I wanted to start with something easier than a Goose. So far, this one's not been too difficult.
David... Thanks for those excellent ideas. Both a rerailing frog and a toolbox will find their way onto this little unit.

:) :) Thanks to everyone!:) :)

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Solving The Power Problem...

I hummed and hawed for quite a while, trying to figure out how to provide power for this little guy. Obviously, I figured, it requires some sort of micro-motor hidden in a crate or something in the back. But then, how to run the driveshaft to the swivelling truck? Where would I get gears? ...Everything ground to a halt.

Then I had a look at an HO brill trolley I had picked up as a future On30 boxcab bash. The little power truck would make a great....trailer. All it would need is some sort of fabricated body.

Maybe you folks could provide an idea or two. A water tank, perhaps? Running up to the logging camp with more water for the steam donkey? Does that sound plausible?:confused:

Here's a quick shot of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• pete's pickup8.jpg
    pete's pickup8.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 68

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know what is available in O scale, but those old Macks were chain drive. The drive shaft went to a differential in front of the rear axle about 3 feet, and then it had what looked like a bicycle chain on each side going to the rear wheels. Instead of a truck in back, it would really look neat with an axle to one large wheel on each side. A motor hidden under a load in the bed driving a sprocket to to a chain driving that one rear axle would really look neat.