Peter von Danzig

M

modelperry

For my next trick, I will attempt to build the Maly Modelarz "piotr z gdanska", aka Peter von Danzig. This Ship was built in the 15th century and is believed to be the first known ship with carvel planking of the hull. Carvel planking consists of butting each plank against each other instead of overlapping which was the primary method of the day. The ship was built in France to haul merchandise but was siezed by the Hanse government and converted to military service when the captain could not pay some debts owed while the ship was docked in Danzig.

Greg

Attachments

• danzig book 1.jpg
    danzig book 1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 17
M

modelperry

This will be the first sailing ship I will have tried and feel it will be a challenge for me. The rigging is probably not as complex as some, but it still looks a little intimidating to me. To start off and provide a place to sit this model between build sessions, I built the stand for it. These pieces as well as the hull framework are laminated onto 2 mm stock (another first for me). This should be one stout model when complete!

Greg

Attachments

• danzig stand 1.jpg
    danzig stand 1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 14
  • danzig stand 2.jpg
    danzig stand 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 13
M

modelperry

Here are some photos of the hull framework. Can't say that my fingers are big fans of 2 mm cardboard.:cry:

I made a few mistakes that I had to fix on this. There are supports at the stern for the main deck piece to sit on that I originally glued to the wrong side of the former. I had to cut them off and make new ones for the other side. Also, the front most formers are supposed to interlock with the main deck. I didn't realize this until after I glued them in place and before I installed the deck. Minor surgery to the deck piece fixed this issue.:eek:ops:

Greg

Attachments

• danzig frame 1.jpg
    danzig frame 1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 19
  • danzig frame 2.jpg
    danzig frame 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 13
S

Soaring

Whooo! This'lll be nice to watch! I love watching old style ships being made in card. By the way, you're doing great so far!

cjwalas

Nov 28, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca.
I'll definitely be watching this one! I have a short stack of MM sailing ships and this is one near the top. Please mention ALL the little quirks you run into a long the way for the rest of us that may follow your footsteps one day!
And best of luck on getting this one done to your liking. I'm sure it'll be an impressive model!
Chris

M

modelperry

Here are some pictures showing the hull planking process. I'm sure there are some tricks that would make this area look better, but I'm OK with the results so far. One thing to note: Parts 9P & L do not follow the numerical sequence of the rest of the hull planks. These are two triangular filler pieces that go on after parts 11P & L. See photo 2 below.

One nice thing about the formers is that they have plank locating marks on them to help guide you on proper placement. Very helpful.:thumb:

Greg

Attachments

• danzig hull plank 1.jpg
    danzig hull plank 1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 13
  • danzig hull plank 2.jpg
    danzig hull plank 2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
  • danzig hull plank 3.jpg
    danzig hull plank 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 15

cjwalas

Nov 28, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Looks to be coming along very nicely! (furiously scribbling notes) The fit on the planking looks good so far. No short end pieces or other traditional MM issues?
Chris

M

modelperry

The ends at the stern are just a touch short. I think that touch up painting will address this issue OK. Part 5 (the rear most panel) seems short on the top. this may resolve itself later on. I guess I'll find out.

Greg

M

modelperry

Here is some more progress on the hull planking. I've also included a photo of the stern to show a possible trouble spot as I progress.

Greg

Attachments

• danzig hull plank 4.jpg
    danzig hull plank 4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
  • danzig hull plank 5.jpg
    danzig hull plank 5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 12

cjwalas

Nov 28, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Yes, that stern does look like a potential hiccup in the works. Is that an actual open space I see in the fit between the stern piece and the hull, or is it just a former or white paper?
Chris

M

modelperry

The stern piece has two tabs at the top with a gap to straddle the vertical former. I think these were supposed to glue to the stern sub-deck piece, but they would not reach that far to fit. Also, I think I will have to do a little filling and painting where the hull planking is supposed to meet the former at the stern. I didn't do any sanding or shaping of the formers before starting the hull planking. I have had to trim some former edges as I go to get the planking to look half decent. I'm sure I could have done a better job. Live and learn I guess.:eek:ops:

Greg

M

modelperry

O K. I've run into some real trouble with the hull planking. At the stern of the ship. I will post pictures Monday morning, but basically I mislocated a couple pieces, (parts 4 and 5) and the hull planking was adversely affected. I've had to fill gaps, trim planks and cobble things together. If building this again, I would do all the planking except parts 20P & L, then go back and place parts 4 & 5. I would alsoshape the formers better before planking them. With all the trouble I've had, I'm now inclined to just build the ship without rigging and chalk this up as a learning experience. I did receive this kit as a bonus from the papermodelstore, so I'm not that worried if the end result looks like ....peasoup

greg

cjwalas

Nov 28, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca.
You've got to keep going, Greg! Think of all the poor, unfortunate modelers your helping...well, me anyway! This is exactly the kind of thing I suspected would be an issue with this and other MM kits. I know they can be made to look very good, if not fantastic. But I suspect there's a real learning curve to them and you're on it! DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!
Chris

T

Tim Crowe

DON'T GIVE UP!

There's a lot of people relying on you to show them how to build the ship

Me included

Tim

S

Soaring

I third it! Don't give up! I've seen some boat builds have gaps in their hulls. They filled in the gaps, and coated it with paint! Try it sometime, it makes it look amazing.

M

modelperry

Do not fear, I'm not done Yet! I'm just rreeaall frustrated! At least I was. Now that I'm past the planking part (which I actually enjoyed at the beginning), things are going a little smoother. Now that I have the keel and rudder in place, I believe my positioning of parts 4 and 5 is actually correct. Why this crap doesn't fit in the back like it's supposed to is beyond me. It must be an MM thing. :curse:

Here are some photo's to study.

Greg

Attachments

• danzig hull plank 6.jpg
    danzig hull plank 6.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 10
  • danzig hull plank 7.jpg
    danzig hull plank 7.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 9
  • danzig keel 1.jpg
    danzig keel 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • danzig keel 2.jpg
    danzig keel 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 8
  • danzig keel 3.jpg
    danzig keel 3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 10
  • danzig rudder 1.jpg
    danzig rudder 1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 12
S

Soaring

Pssst, Edge color with paint, paint the bottom ;) Then go over the planks to emphasize the edges. YOu're doing great! Keep going!

M

modelperry

Thank's for the advice. I tend to only edge color the stuff that really bothers me. At normal viewing distance the ship doesn't look too bad. My camera tends to pick up more than my eye does. My only hesitation to painting the hull as has been suggested is that the paint would hide all the nice woodgrain printing that I don't want to try and duplicate.

If this were a steel hull ship I would be more apt to paint the hull.

Greg

M

modelperry

Only one picture today of the forward deck. I had to trim one of the deck supports to conform to the hull, otherwise fit was good. I started work on the aft deck now. I think I've found the main culprit to the poor fit at the rear now. I will outline this in the next entry.

I do plan on edge coloring the railing.

Greg

Attachments

• danzig fore deck 1.jpg
    danzig fore deck 1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 12