pepakura pdo converter.

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by keith, May 25, 2006.

1. keith

keith Member

3D object converter can now convert the 3D model stored in a pepakura file to any file format you want.
    http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/

I never released my pepakura to metasequoia converter because of the 3D content copyright issues (3D content is a growing buisness), and because it gave you the ability to edit locked pepakura files by reloading the model into pepakura designer.

I was wondering what pepakura users think about others having the ability to steal their 3D models?

I could update my converter to allow users to converter the 3D model in pepakura to a 2D format only. You would then simply unfold the unfolded model.

Keith
  2. keith

keith Member

3D object converter can now convert the 3D model stored in a pepakura file to any file format you want.
    http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/

I never released my pepakura to metasequoia converter because of the 3D content copyright issues (3D content is a growing buisness), and because it gave you the ability to edit locked pepakura files by reloading the model into pepakura designer.

I was wondering what pepakura users think about others having the ability to steal their 3D models?

I could update my converter to allow users to converter the 3D model in pepakura to a 2D format only. You would then simply unfold the unfolded model.

Keith
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Keith,

Thanks for the link. On those who would ripoff models, if they are astute enough to know how to do it I don't think it's going to stop them from doing it.

-Gil
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Keith,

Thanks for the link. On those who would ripoff models, if they are astute enough to know how to do it I don't think it's going to stop them from doing it.

-Gil
  5. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I think at the $50 registration fee to export models the author soon will find that while he has defeated numerous forms of copy protection the cracking and hacking community will soon defeat his registration protection, depriving him of his intellectual property (and income).

While it isn't always a fair balance, there "is" balance in the universe.:twisted:
  6. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I think at the $50 registration fee to export models the author soon will find that while he has defeated numerous forms of copy protection the cracking and hacking community will soon defeat his registration protection, depriving him of his intellectual property (and income).

While it isn't always a fair balance, there "is" balance in the universe.:twisted:
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Remember there will always be those who defeat the system and those who work within it will suffer for it.

or...

Efforts to keep out the dishonest people are futile while the honest people suffer.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Remember there will always be those who defeat the system and those who work within it will suffer for it.

or...

Efforts to keep out the dishonest people are futile while the honest people suffer.
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

That is why I have given up........

Tim P
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

That is why I have given up........

Tim P
  11. keith

keith Member

Depriving the programmer of the converter, of income, isn't the problem.

Not sure you get the profitability of 3D models.

So first an example :-
    [​IMG]
    Dino-crane 3D model for sale only $7.00

It's the Webdude Rick's dinocrane 3D model, all that time and effort creating a 3D model for unfolding, and no way to prove intellectual rights for the 3D model.
    (Rick I wouldn't, its just an example)

And following on from that, a wacky races 3D set (6 cars) :- http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/305834
    Anyone see the price tag?

I think pepakura users should start to think about copyrights to their 3D models as well as the 2D layouts. It's why i use tif and jpg.

Keith
  12. keith

keith Member

Depriving the programmer of the converter, of income, isn't the problem.

Not sure you get the profitability of 3D models.

So first an example :-
    [​IMG]
    Dino-crane 3D model for sale only $7.00

It's the Webdude Rick's dinocrane 3D model, all that time and effort creating a 3D model for unfolding, and no way to prove intellectual rights for the 3D model.
    (Rick I wouldn't, its just an example)

And following on from that, a wacky races 3D set (6 cars) :- http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/305834
    Anyone see the price tag?

I think pepakura users should start to think about copyrights to their 3D models as well as the 2D layouts. It's why i use tif and jpg.

Keith
  13. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Keith,
    I already tag everything with a "No commercial use in any format" statement which would also cover the 3D format.
    Unfortunately most designers don't.

Those wacky racers at Turbosquid aren't bad but they're not quite accurate. I'd say the artist used the commercially available resin model kit photos as base info while I used the original Hanna Barbera layout sheets.

Fortunately the one thing positive is that 3D for paper models is usually too low poly for rendered images and serious animation and too high poly for game animation use.

Still, if you're designing and not including caveats with your work you're certainly inviting trouble.....
  14. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Keith,
    I already tag everything with a "No commercial use in any format" statement which would also cover the 3D format.
    Unfortunately most designers don't.

Those wacky racers at Turbosquid aren't bad but they're not quite accurate. I'd say the artist used the commercially available resin model kit photos as base info while I used the original Hanna Barbera layout sheets.

Fortunately the one thing positive is that 3D for paper models is usually too low poly for rendered images and serious animation and too high poly for game animation use.

Still, if you're designing and not including caveats with your work you're certainly inviting trouble.....