Pepakura format availability

myrmedon

Hi All,

It may be just me, but it seems a lot of paper models are not in Pep format...I have seen several PDF formats and some I have downloaded were just bit map images to print.

Questions: Why is this? Do people do this to protect their work?

Personally, for my paper to plastic conversion, I find it helpful to be able to tweak a design in PepDesigner before printing.

Thanks for your input!

T

Z

Zathros

Well, I never use Pepakura. That may be why. Not everyone uses Pepakura, and for the 2 people on Mac's, it allows them to get the models. :)

WuLongTi

Web Ninja
As a designer, making a PDF of your model available allows you to not only add additional branding to the pages but also makes your model that much easier for builders to produce. The more accessible your product is, the more likely it will be collected and produced. Also as Zathos mentioned, not everyone uses Pepakura or are comfortable with it.

In web development I often find that people like to be forced to think as little as possible and the more work I do on my end, the less they will have to do on theirs and the happier everyone will be for it.

Z

Zathros

I use Rhino 3D 4.), and Adobe Photoshop CS3, though I stink at all but the basics of Photoshop.

A lot of people here use Pepakura, not just everyone. Google Sketchup (Now Trimble Sketchup) and Blender are another couple people use.

myrmedon

Ah...Photoshop. I found that to be one of the least intuitive programs I have ever worked with...gave up on it a long time ago. I get scoffed at for such remarks....just saying.

Z

Zathros

It is, but I have to admit, I have seen people breeze through it, but they have always been people who have worked it since the beginning. I even find their tutorials are written the same way. There is no idiot's guide to Photoshop, they always use the "lingo" without explaining it first, and telling you what you are actually doing. I mainly use it for resizing and rearranging parts of models. I don't consider myself too stupid. if someone of this forum could do, for instance, a simple tutorial on how to "weather" a wing, wheel or tank, they would earn great respect.