People's Location

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Is there any way to go into the Gauge and build a list of where people registered on The Gauge live?

I'm one of those who look a people's profiles when I come on the air thinking I might spot someone from my neck of the woods or from some particular place of interest to me. I think that is the labor intensive way of doing it if it is possible to just build a list somehow.

Suggestions??

Bob

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Yup - Go here:

http://www.continento.com/blogs.php?mapid=2782

If it asks you to sign in :
PM me for the password (There are Grown-Up Children here that have to mess with simple things wall1 hamr wall1 hamr wall1

Click the first globe (Green eye) in the top of the screen and you will be taken to the main map. There you can see if any other members are in your area. Also, add yourself to teh list :) :) :)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
New Jersey

hello Bob - i am from Woodbridge,NJ ( Central Eastern NJ - just connected to Staten Island New yourk by Outerbidge crossing ) - I see that you are about 1400 miles west of me. About a 22 hour drive - no stay over/ comfortable commute. I have my inlaws close to you - father in law in Guttenburg, Iowa (Northeast Iowa )and the remaining inlaws in Dubuque, Iowa. (Central Eastern Iowa ) Great railroads alongside rt 80 out west. I remember seeing an abondoned RR alongside highway ( ???) heading north toward rt 80 from Clarinda Iowa ( far south west corner of Iowa ) . I had wanted to stop and take pics, but we had a real roadtrip back to Dubuque. Clarinda - you say - yes, just a point of interest - home to Benny Goodman. :wave:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
hookandlad;

My daughter in law was born and raised in Guttenburg. Nice little town along the Mighty Mississippi. She , along with our son and their kids live near Manchester, Iowa about half way between Dubuque and Waterloo.

Clarinda is about a hours drive southeast of us here in Council Bluffs, along the Mighty Missouri River right across from Omaha.

Lots and lots of railroad activity here with the mainlines of both the UPRR and the BNSF within a few minutes drive. Lots of coal trains and also a fairly good sized intermodal yard run by the UPRR.

Bob

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Yup - Go here:

http://www.continento.com/blogs.php?mapid=2782

If it asks you to sign in :
the username and password are both: thegauge

Click the first globe (Green eye) in the top of the screen and you will be taken to the main map. There you can see if any other members are in your area. Also, add yourself to teh list :) :) :)
I forgot about this with good reason. I remember trying to "add myself to the list" and giving up. I thought I'd try once again, and had the same results. Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but could you explain briefly how to "add yourself to the list." I clicked on the "creat travel note for your map" icon, filled out the country and town and it says, "Phoenix Arizona doesn't exist on your map." Geeze, Phoenix is only the sixth largest city in the USA, so obviously, that's not how you "add yourself to the list.". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Bob,

:wave: I am also an Iowegan transplant to Virginia. I have lived in Fort Dodge, overlooking the old M & St. L wye near the Des Moines River bridge. We moved to Ottumwa in 1959 and I worked my summers while in college at a small milk plant near the old CB&Q tracks along the river.

I am nowhere near the CSX tracks here.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
David, maybe it's time for you to return to your roots.:) That's what my wife and I have done after wandering the planet for over 45 years. We have lived in Kansas twice, Maryland twice, Georgia twice as well as North Carolina, Hawaii and Germany. I have also left the family behind for a year or so at a time and lived in such exotic places as Korea twice, and Vietnam. As you might guess Iowa seems pretty calm and quiet to us and we are loving it. We have been fortunate enough to be able to establish a travel fund that has allowed us to travel to the UK, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and back to Germany. Needless to say we have worn out a couple of suitcases in the processsign1

Bob

I now live in Vonore, Tennessee. Outside The Great Smoky Mountains. I am about 60 miles from Knoxville and Gattlinburg. I lived in Central Wisconsin, near Wausau. I was born in Silvis, Illinois (Rock Island Line had a large yard there). The Rock Island is my favorit railroad. They went bankrupt when I was 9. The Rock Island was the first railroad to cross the Mississippi River, Rock Island, Illinois to Davenport, Iowa. I lived in Moline, ILL...part of the Quad Cities Area.

Andy
PS
Did I mention I live by the CSX mainline in Vonore!?

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Andy, I am reminded of the Rock Island every week when I go to my train club meeting which is held in the old Rock Island depot here in Council Bluffs. We have a rather extensive operating layout inside the depot as well as a smaller museum with quite a few local railroad artifacts. I'm sure you would enjoy it very much.

Bob

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I guess I may as well jump in here and see if I can impart a few intelligable word. Don, (EZD) I have tried several times to get located on the map, but as soon as it says turn on computer, I'm lost.

kf4jqd, if you were around Wausau, you know where Merrill is. I graduated high school there in 1948. I have since found out that Texas is a far better place to live. Even married a Texas gal 54 years ago.

Lynn

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
I forgot about this with good reason. I remember trying to "add myself to the list" and giving up. I thought I'd try once again, and had the same results. Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but could you explain briefly how to "add yourself to the list." I clicked on the "creat travel note for your map" icon, filled out the country and town and it says, "Phoenix Arizona doesn't exist on your map." Geeze, Phoenix is only the sixth largest city in the USA, so obviously, that's not how you "add yourself to the list.". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah - right - Like I remember!! wall1 :confused: wall1 :confused: wall1

I finally figured it out - you go to the upper right corner (Globe with "+" Sign)

I did it for you :)

SIgn into the site and then go here:
http://www.continento.com/locate.php?mapid=2782&blogid=&country_code=us&text=phoenix&options=starts
Then choose which "Phoenix" (county) you live in and you should be ok from there :)

I know - it's complicated - there's a "trick" to it :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Yeah - right - Like I remember!! wall1 :confused: wall1 :confused: wall1

I finally figured it out - you go to the upper right corner (Globe with "+" Sign)

I did it for you :)

SIgn into the site and then go here:
http://www.continento.com/locate.php?mapid=2782&blogid=&country_code=us&text=phoenix&options=starts
Then choose which "Phoenix" (county) you live in and you should be ok from there :)

I know - it's complicated - there's a "trick" to it :D :D
Ok, I got it and I didn't have to settle for "nearby", I was able to find and use "Surprise Arizona" as my location. Yeah, the trick is to use "partial" rather than "exact". Seems like exact isn't exactly worth spending the time playing with. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"kf4jqd, if you were around Wausau, you know where Merrill is. I graduated high school there in 1948. I have since found out that Texas is a far better place to live. Even married a Texas gal 54 years ago."

Yellowlynn:
My Dad work for the JI Case Co in Bettendorff, Iowa. That plant closed in the late 1980's. He was transfered to the Wausau plant. I was 16. I hated it. I know where Merrill is. I am so glade to live in the South East where people are still proad to show their American Spirit and beliefs in God.

All are welcome to come here and I will show you some Southern Hospitality!:wave:

Andy