People at work on the Railways

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
They are out in all weather, 24hours 7 days a week.
After talking to a few x railroaders I would like this thread to capture them at work.;)

This train has just got the all clear on a cold bright Sunday morning, a crew of eight were fixing track.

Attachments

• men at work pick station.jpg
    men at work pick station.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 212

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Maintaining equipment is a constant task. Here a repair is being made to a locomotive frame.

015_WORK_HAS_STARTED_ON_RS-vi.jpg

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Switching is still done manually in many places. Here in a museum railyard...

024_MANUAL_SWITCH_MACHINE-vi.jpg

...and even Amtrak must do so. Here an Amtrak conductor is throwing the switch that allows his train to enter the Birmingham, Alabama, station.

amtrakswitch2-vi.jpg

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Switching industrial sidings in open roads - a task with great responsability.

This man 'radio-controls' the engineer of the switching cut. Another one is already further down the road (behind our back) flagging down road traffic.

Attachments

• industriemanöver1.jpg
    industriemanöver1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 182

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
The engineer has to pay full attention to the commands while feeling the impatience of the automobile drivers behind his switching cut. Stressing...

Attachments

• industriemanöver2.jpg
    industriemanöver2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 182

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Another part of the job of running a railroad--guiding this Genesis in to gently couple with a train already loaded with passengers.

Coupling-vi.jpg

This was in Union Station in Washington DC. The run from New York had been under the wire. From here to Charlotte, NC, the power is diesel.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Nice shots guys!
Pierce, I have a spike puller and used it once to pull a spike from a tie I was putting in my yard. I wouldn't like to be on the business end of it all day, it is #%@*^! heavy. My hat is off to the men and women who daily keep the railroads running.
Steve