Pennsylvania!

LoudMusic

My wife and I did a two week road trip from Arkansas up around the eastern Great Lakes and back home. We did a bit of rail adventure along the way (turns out it was all in PA). I'll start with this video of the turntable at Steamtown turning their CN 2-8-2.

(click picture for video link)

I'm going to get more pictures and videos uploaded and post them shortly (as long as work doesn't interfier with my goofing off ...)

LoudMusic

Pair of switchers on the interior of the roundhouse
dsc07554lt8.jpg

The turntable. Turn, Table, turn!
dsc07555mf3.jpg

Reading 467 (Alco RS something?)
dsc07556gf8.jpg

HO model of the facility in its prime (BIG ROUNDHOUSE!)
dsc07560sc0.jpg

Secondary (no longer existing) turntable
dsc07563fd2.jpg

Better view of the yard
dsc07564vl4.jpg

The modernized part of the roundhouse used as a museam
dsc07569am4.jpg

THA PIT! (note the brand new drive wheels to the left)
dsc07571qv3.jpg

... deeeep breath ... working on more.

LoudMusic

More ... stuff.
dsc07575pp0.jpg

Lackawanna 426 (SW 1200? Who made these? EMD?)
dsc07589ul0.jpg

Yup. I got artsy.
dsc07594dm1.jpg

Pssst, your barn door is open
dsc07596dz3.jpg

New Hampshire Trap Rock Company 43 (do locos this small get represented at 0-4-0?)
dsc07600ze7.jpg

Reading 2124 (4-8-2?), with something else behind it, and something else behind that, and the roundhouse behind that :)
dsc07617iz7.jpg

Rahway Valley 15 2-8-0, needs a scrubbin`, along with the rest of them
dsc07621xu6.jpg

Some large thing ;)
dsc07626td2.jpg

It had numbers. They were big too.
dsc07629pw1.jpg

I'm not possitive, but I think this little one pulls that big one
dsc07633ta2.jpg

Time for a nap I think.

LoudMusic

Delaware-Lackawanna 4118, Alco RS ... something, sitting with a few cars in the yard. Tea party I guess.
dsc07634nd3.jpg

More trains
dsc07638dk0.jpg

I can't take my eyes off those damn stripes!
dsc07643dv8.jpg

Everywhere you turn it's in your vision!
dsc07645pb5.jpg

The excursion train at the round house
dsc07655oq3.jpg

Lucky SOB
dsc07673ax4.jpg

And lastly, some track and the man in the special hat
dsc07674gh3.jpg

LoudMusic

Prior to Steamtown we were in Pitsburg at the Carnegie Museum where they have a submarine! Oh wait, we're doing trains here ... Where they have a HUGE Lionel layout! It was divided into sections each modeled with a different season. They had about five trains running each on their own loop of track. I took a lot of pictures but very few were worth looking at. No snide comments about the pictures that I do post, please :)

dsc06458xo6.jpg

dsc06467it9.jpg

dsc06470mq9.jpg

They also cycled the lights to show night time. It was INTENSE.

Click for video of theme park at night

Click for video of train running along the edge

cn nutbar

excellent thread loudmusic---having visited steamtown as well,it brought back some fond memories.as well, you took a great shot of one of my favourite locomotives, cn 3254.welcome to the forum,looking forward to future threads---thanks for sharing.hope you don't mind if i add a few pictures ---nutbar

1204061002.jpg

240306022.jpg

2005082.jpg

LoudMusic

It had rail, people rode it, it's historical, I'm posting it!

The Duquesne Incline in Pittsburg has two cars that countered eachother's weight for lifting passengers up and down the incline of this hill. Wish I had more to tell you but I forgot it all :D

The lower building
dsc06481sk6.jpg

View from outside the upper building
dsc06494oa0.jpg

They're coming right for us!
dsc06501km6.jpg

OMG! Near miss!
dsc06502bz7.jpg

And they just continue on like they don't even care
dsc06503vp0.jpg

Alright. Need a promise from you guys. I wanted to show you the interior and the only pictures I have include my wife. DO NOT TELL HER I POSTED THESE ON THE INTERNET. She will silence the music, and I like it loud ;) The cabs were actually in remarkably good condition with very pretty carvings above the windows. There wasn't enough light to make good pictures, unfortunately. You'll have to go see them for yourselves.
dsc06485ee6.jpg

LoudMusic

cn nutbar said:
excellent thread loudmusic---having visited steamtown as well,it brought back some fond memories.as well, you took a great shot of one of my favourite locomotives, cn 3254.welcome to the forum,looking forward to future threads---thanks for sharing.hope you don't mind if i add a few pictures ---nutbar

2005082.jpg

That's amazing ... I have no other words. And glad I could help revisit the good times :)

LoudMusic

Outside of Pittsburg in a little town who's name I forget there is a trolley museum. These people are incredble. And I think it's privately owned - might be wrong on that.

#1711. I'd nickname it The Beast if I had it my way, but I don't. It was large and impressive.
dsc06509jm0.jpg

They do them up right - interior and all.
dsc06512go2.jpg

Another trolley in the trolley barn
dsc06513zi8.jpg

Shazam! This is dedication
dsc06514xs3.jpg

This was the latest acquisition, yet unable to self motivate. The fella with his head stuck out to the left was rather excitable about his trolleys. My wife and I assumed he was the head honcho, but was never introduced as such.
dsc06517xh4.jpg

The seats on the 5 Manpower trolley from above. We were told that this is the same style trolley that was used in Mr Roger's Neighborhood.
dsc06522on8.jpg

#14, apparently headed to West Chester. I hope they get there.
dsc06524av6.jpg

Its interior. Take note of the acurate period advertising ...
dsc06525ew6.jpg

One of two trolleys they provided free (the day we were there) rides on
dsc06529qf9.jpg

All in all I would say if you like history, trains, trolleys, or people who are REALLY into their hobby, this is a cool place to go.

LoudMusic

We rode a few other trains in PA on our trip. These are a little ... different ;)

Super Duper Looper (?) Hershey Park
dsc07776ms9.jpg

I don't remember the name of this one, but it was two sets of track and they raced
dsc07767cn8.jpg

Hey, they're trains on track just like the rest. Their purpose is just a little different.

LoudMusic

I have one last set of images but I don't seem to have them at work. I'll post those when I get home. They're of the special place. Lets see if anyone can guess what our last PA train visit was before I post the pictures.

doctorwayne

Nice bunch of pictures, LoudMusic. Good thing I didn't make a guess on your next bunch of photos: my choice would've be Orbisonia.

Wayne

Marxed

awesome, where is that steam town at? i gotta visit there one time! i've been to half of the places in your photos! and BTW, it's spelled Pittsburgh, not Pitburg or Pittsburg ;)