Pennsy K-4 colors

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Most of them where black, then grimmyblack to rust....But ther where a few painted brunswick green towards the end, Not sure if it was something special or just a fluck or use of extra paint but there where one or more painted green with gold letters. I'll have to look through all my pennsy photos but i do believe I have a pic of one in green.
Tony

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Hey Terry,
I looked through some of the photos I have and didnt come across it yet, just be paitent. Cant remeber if it was the old engine on horseshoe or steamtown or where we saw it but I do believe I have a pic of it somewhere.
tony

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Well, guess he beat me to it, well think there are more shots of them at the Strausburg museum site. If I remember right only the front section of the boiler was in brunswick green and I cant remeber the tender.
Tony

curmudgeon

Nov 25, 2004
mid-TN, USA
Actually, I'm still unsure whether Pennsy ever painted any Brunswick green - 1561@ Horseshoe is much lighter than Brunswick & I'm thinking was painted non-standard just for display.

I know the T-1's were all Brunswick in service, & even if K-4's were, they'd be just about indistinguishable from black in a b&w pic.

I'd like to find a color pic if possible, unless there's definitive info one way or the other, so don't give up yet, Tony.:)

regards,

curmudgeon

Nov 25, 2004
mid-TN, USA
So far, the color pix (actually period adv. postcards) I find of streamlined K-4's seem to be Brunswick, but my interest is nonstreamlined.

I have a Bach. Spectrum post-war K-4, & in addition to incorrect detail, the black/silver/red colors seem to have never been used, so I'd prefer to repaint Tuscan or Brunswick if accurate, tho' I may have to go w/black as you suggested earlier.

regards,

curmudgeon

Nov 25, 2004
mid-TN, USA
Well now!

According to an article on PRR eqpt. painting in the online magazine (Issue 30) of http://www.prrths.com
ALL locos (as of 1929) were EITHER Black or "Dark Green"!
Appparently it didn't matter which.
Shades of red cabroof & tender deck, along w/graphite smokebox were standard also.
It's noted that 3rd-coat cabroofs were so dark as to appear almost black from the ground.
Also that color mixes varied from shop to shop (perhaps almost certainly over time).

I'm thinking now that many of the b&w pix are actually of "dark green" engines that just appear black.

regards,

curmudgeon

Nov 25, 2004
mid-TN, USA
New info from a Pennsy fan:
"The basic color for all standard PRR Steam Locomotives was DGLE (Dark
Green Locomotive Enamel) aka: Brunswick Green by railfans. DGLE was so
dark it appeared black. Black was applied to certain items (mostly
appliances like air tanks, pumps, bell frame, railings generator etc) on
the locomotives. In the early 1930's there were 10 locomotives directed
to be repainted Tuscan Red for service on premier trains in the east.
Only known numbers are 2761, 5409 and 5436. Of course no color
photographs exist of these locomotives. Neither do the orders of the
painting instructions so any guess of what was painted what color is
only that, a GUESS. All were repainted back to DGLE possibly several
years later."

So that suits me 'til I find out he was wrong! :)

regards,