"Pee" Gravel

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
What I do is mix the gravel (usually stuff I pick up and sift from the parking lot) with molding plaster and pour it into a mold of whatever it is I am making i.e. building foundation, culvert, etc.. When set, I remove it from the mold and then scrub the face with a stiff brush until the desired effect is achieved. Then I stain the "mortar" lines whatever color I need. Molding plaster is used because it is softer, the drawback being that large castings must be reinforced. The staining is done at the end rather than into the plaster during casting because various dyes and staining agents can alter the casting time and its strength. An old but effective trick.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
If you can find stone thin enough for n-scale (I prefer 1/16" or thinner), I usually use crushed rather than pea rock because it is so much thinner, paint the surface it is to be applied to flat gray then use Elmer's White Glue to apply it. The glue dries clear and any spaces between the rocks will be gray and look like mortar (or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D ). The glue sometimes will have some shine to it, if it does a coat or two of Dul-Cote will take care of it. Hope this helps you.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Pee Gravel???

Perhaps Pea Gravel- 2B, 1B.

The only pee gravel I've ever had the displeasure to see, contribute to or worse, smell- is that outside a gin mill.

What's uP with that?

Mark