Peco turnout springs - N scale

brucemac11

Jan 19, 2006
I'm looking at a pile of Peco turnouts sitting next to an equal number of Tortise switch machines. After looking at the turnouts, my inclination is to remove the spring from the underside; however there's a plastic cover over the spring that appears to be glued. Cut it out and remove the spring? I really don't want to butcher many turnouts, given what they cost. Thanks for the help. Bruce

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
It's been while since I looked at an N scale Peco turnout but isn't there a moveable part above the spring between the points that adjusts the spring tension? Seems to me I remember moving it away from the frog to release the spring tension.

brucemac11

Jan 19, 2006
Yep, there is a piece between the points. I thought it might be there to maintain gauge. I did manage to remove one spring from the bottom. I cut the plastic cover over the throw bar and took out the spring. In doing that the ties on the point side loosened a little but I don't think it's affecting the gauge. I hope not. Was this the "proper" side on which to operate? Don't know, but maybe someone will shed some light. I can't put it back.

brucemac11

Jan 19, 2006
Problem solved. The sacrificial turnout must have been an ancient piece because the new Pecos I bought have an easily removed piece between the points. Take that off and there's the spring just itching to be removed - piece of cake. Bruce