Peco Or Not ?

fifer

I am just curious to find out how many of you guys #1 Like Peco Track and Turnouts (in whartever scale you model).
and #2 How many of you use it?
#3 If you do use it do you have trouble finding it?
Thanks , Mike

:confused: :confused: :wave:

Mike, I have used peco switches and flex track for years and highly recomend them. I go to swap meets and pick switches up at reasonable prices sometimes very reasonablely priced. I presently use code 100 peco switches, I will eventually be replacing them with handlaid code 83, as I use handlaid code 83 for most of the layout with handlaid code 70 for sidings and spur tracks, but as I have numerous code 100 peco switches to use for now, and to get things up and running, I make use of them.
Our club uses nothing but peco switches and peco flex track, all code 100, for the main lines and sidings. We will use code 83 and 70 for industrial spur tracks.
As to your third question, just about every hobby shop that I have been in carrys peco switches but as I stated look around and you can find some great deals at swap meets. Check out some of the adds in the railroad mags, they offer some good prices for peco. Ron..

billk

I use nothing but. The price is higher, but the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here, and you can get pretty reasonable prices at the various internet dealers (which in my case is the only place I can get Peco track, my LHS doesn't stock it).

A common complaint is Peco track is not prototypical to US turnouts, due to a wider tie spacing. But after you ballast, IMHO this is not that big of a deal, especially if there is no non-Peco track, with a narrower tie spacing, on the layout.

I have mostly AC Marklin track, but in my layout, where thers's the DC, I use PECO and Roco Line. PECO turnouts are the best, And I like the line very much also... Here in Lisbon, it's easy to find Peco... but if you go somewhere else in Portugal you'll hardly find some...

spitfire

I'm another satisfied Peco user. I've only compared to Altas, but I found the Peco's to be so much better, here's why:

1. You don't have to file down the rails for smoothness - there is no height difference where they meet at all.

2. The diverging rail is a true curve, not a straight.

3. I don't use switch machines, so the way they snap into position is a must.

4. They just seem to be so well crafted.

Haven't had any trouble finding them as my LHS carries Peco, Atlas and Bachmann EZ track.

I did hear from one user that they didn't stand up as well to the wear and tear of a club layout, but that's not an issue for me.

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by spitfire

I did hear from one user that they didn't stand up as well to the wear and tear of a club layout, but that's not an issue for me.

Val

We have them on our club's switching layout. It is based on John Allen's timesaver. It gets a lot of use (abuse ;) )by kids and adults at the shows we take it to. The Peco switches have stood up to the test. I don't like the look of it so much, but you can't argue with how they work!

Microengineering also makes a sprung turnout that looks more "North American". A friend has them on his layout that is has been operated almost every Friday night for the past 5-6 years (he estimates well over 200 sessions) without any major issues.

Andrew

jon-monon

#1 Like Peco Track and Turnouts (in whartever scale you model).

I don't dislike Peco, but I've never used it. I do like the looks of the HOe "crazy track" but it's too expensive for my taste buds.

05520000000500.jpg

I've found I can do as well by butchering Atlas N scale track and get the look I want for half the price. The bottom page shows my homebrewed crazy track:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8773&perpage=5&pagenumber=5

For HO, I might try my hand at handlaying turnouts, otherwize I'll probably stick with Atlas for the cost savings. I can get used HO flextrack in good condition for $1 ea. and turnouts on sale as low as $5.

I'm not sure why some folks don't like the appearance of Peco?

and #2 How many of you use it?

Not me.

#3 If you do use it do you have trouble finding it?

If I did use it getting it would not be a problem, unless Walther's is out of stock. My LHS orders from them regularly, and I could always go mail order myself.

Pooh Bah
Yes.

95% of my layout is Peco HO track. The rest is British scale track (Bullhead rail in chairs). The latest stretch is Peco finescale (code 75).
I have been using Peco for 35 years, possibly 40. I found that a couple of my older turnouts have come apart at the tiebars. These have been replaced. Since I run some stock with older, coarse wheels, I have some issues with the finer scale track.
The appearance isn't too bad after it's ballasted -- I no longer notice that the ties are too close together for British practice. They look quite right to me for Canadian.
If you have problems finding it, BRMNA has a list of member dealers that have it.

jetrock

All of my switches are Peco Code 100, although I use Atlas flextrack and crossing diamonds (cheaper and easier to get.) For the sharp curves and low frog numbers I need on an industrial layout, Peco "Setrack" and small-radius "Streamline" can't be beat, and since most of the track is in-street it is covered by "concrete" and the non-US appearance matters less, if at all.