Peco or Atlas?

brucemac11

Jan 19, 2006
After nearly 30 years away from this obsession I'm dreaming of finding the time to build my N scale layout. Not that it pertains to the question, but the time period is the transition from steam to diesel in some fictional part of the US. Here's my first question: Peco or Atlas for track/turnouts? Is one more reliable than the other? I'm going to use code 80, rather than change all the older trucks. I'll pay attention to the group wisdom. Thanks

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
I love the looks of Atlas C55, Not sure of the C80.

On my On30 layout I am using a combination of Atlas Flextrack and Peco Switches and On30 (crazy track)

To me the Peco is rock solid, but the looks where not as good as the Atlas. That is what it came down to me.

Good luck

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
I have Peco switches since they have a spring. There is no chance that a switch only moves halfway.
Pecos will not work if you plan to use switching motors like Tortoise slow switching motors but they are great if you switch by hand or with solenoid switching motors.
I also use Peco 80 tracks since they have "cement ties", which was a bigger concern than the "European spacing" on the Peco ties.

brucemac11

Jan 19, 2006
Thanks, Roland for the info. I was planning on using Peco since I have some left from years ago. I just purchased two Tortise machines because they seem to be what most folks prefer, maybe they're not using Peco turnouts. I like the idea of a slow moving switch but is that possible with Peco and another type switch motor? Maybe it all boils down to nothing in the long run; I'm trying to put together the pieces that will bring fewer problems in the long run.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
In HO, I took the springs out of a pair of Peco turnouts to use Tortoises. (I've had other ones where the springs just fell out after 20 years.) Otherwise, the points snap over when the motor finishes its work. And if you don'r adjust the Tortoise properly, they may not move at all.