Peco, Code80 or code55 for yard

dhutch

ok, i have a smallish N layout which is done in code55 flexi, and im about to buy the track for doing the yard at the back.

- im wondering, should i stick with code 55 to keep it the same thoughout

- or can i use code 80 for the yard without it looking odd (i can get code80 cheap off ebay)

just looking for opinions really, does anyone else mix track?

capt_turk

Stay with the same code track through out the layout. I mixed codes when I first started the layout out of ignorance, and ended up ripping up a bunch of it and changing to all the same code. The jump, or bump, where the track changes code will cause you nothing but grief. I tried filing to get them the same hieght. I tried jimmying the splicers. I tried shimming the track. Nothing really worked. If the train didn't end up derailing there, it jumped and bumped, or the cars uncoupled. It was just a general pain in the caboose. It's hard enough to get everything work smoothly when everything is the same code. Don't add to your problems just to save a dollar or two. It's more expensive in the long run because you will end up changing it later to make it all the same or you will never be really happy with the way it works.

joe ramirez

I am not trying to start an argument, just sharing my thoughts. I am a novice modeler and started with a ez track then made a transition to flex track. I ran into the same problem as C T. The bump looked bad and one car the 40 footer would come uncoupled. I fixed the problem by sanding it down then using solider to even it out much like a dentist using filler to fix a chipped tooth. I have no problem now at top speeds. I added small amounts of lead weight to the cars and it runs great and I have a cheap starter set. Here is the best pic I could take right now.
Joe

Attachments

• Mvc-280s.jpg
    Mvc-280s.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 123

capt_turk

No arguement from this section of the bleachers. I'm a novice myself. I just related my own experience. I figure that if I had kept fooling with it long enough, I could have gotten it to work. I just don't figure that it is worth all the extra work and grief to do so. The damage to locos and cars ended up being much more than the couple of dollars more to get all the same code track.
Whatever...the point is to "Keep them trains roll'en", however you gotta do it!

Pooh Bah
Dhutch: are you talking about a hidden or visible yard? The Peco code 80/code 55 joint should be seamless as the rail is really the same height, just one is set farther into the ties.
A yard really should have smaller rail than the mainline, so if it's visible, I would stay with the code 55. If it's hidden, take whichever is cheaper.

joe ramirez

C T, I was only saying that cause I also play guitar and on other forums I visit if you say something other than what the romans say than it causes a big uproar. I personally want as much info as I can get.
Joe in houston

sschaer

i'd stick with code55 as it is the stronger and more reliable track than code80. btw, there are special transition (c55-c80) tracks or railjoiners available from peco.

tillsbury

To switch from 80 to 55 is fairly easy -- you do need to shim the missing 0.025 under the ties (as the rail is set lower), but the rail joins perfectly.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's any point unless you can get it a whole load cheaper. Within a yard you will likely want the best possible electrofrog turnouts, of which I think there is a better range in 55 than 80...

Charles

dhutch

Ok, thanks - i know the rails could be joined well (i have a bit of code80 laying about)

- the yard is on show, so i guess i'll just stick with the 55 if the yard is noramly lower rail than the main.

- also, most of my layout uses meduim radius points (18in radus) but as the track is layed upto about 9in diamater, i shouldnt have any problems with using small radus (12in) for the yard shouldnt i ?

- and also, i used a set-track points on a curve that i need to have a turnout out of, apart from lokking diffrent becuase its code80 it would be fine?

thanks, daniel