Peco #8 Turnouts - Research Findings

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
With all the goings ons concerning Toronto 2004 NTRAK BBQ, I thought to do a little bit of research concerning the Peco Code 80 #8 turnouts, seeing as my layout design is completed, pending the final placement of crossovers using these turnouts.

My process: Using my flatbed scanner, I placed a turnout face down and scanned it into Photoshop. Then, I scanned a piece of Flex track. Then, using NTRAK specifications of 1.5" centerlines on the 3 main tracks, I extended the tracks such that they met.

My findings: A space of 16" is needed from tip of turnout to tip of turnout. Even though this turnout is only about 1/4" longer than the atlas #6 turnout, the angle is much more acute, and needs more room to meet. The straight section needed to join these is 3 1/2" long.

Here is a scaled down image of what I used:

Attachments

• #8s.jpg
    #8s.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 157

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great idea, Arl!
Yopu could also use this idea for scanning structure components for doing mock-uos & kitbashing ideas! :cool:

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Why didn't I think of that?

Wow, Charlie, that's a cool idea!

Set a wall on the scanner and print it out and glue to some cardstock... then you can play around with it without ruining the structure, until you are sure you got what you want!

Then it's bash-time! :D

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Several years ago, I took some photos of the foothills of the Rockies (with the Rockies in the background) on my way from Calgary to Golden.

A couple of weeks ago, one of our club members asked if anyone had some photos of the foothills as he wanted to work on a backdrop for a module that was reminiscent of where his mother grew up. I gave him the photos.

At our last meet, I commented on his backdrop, not realizing that these were the same photos that I had given him. He had simply scanned the photos and printed them off (with a bit of touching up) and added them to his backdrop.

Just goes to show there's lots you can do with a scanner!