PayPal Scam e-mail

I just received this e-mail with a totally authentic-appearing PayPal html background.
I suspect it is a phishing scam; I forwarded it to PayPal's spoof address.
Appears very dangerous to me. Plese do not respond to such without verification!

"We recently noticed an attempt to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign ip address and we have reason to believe that your account was used by third party
without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling ,the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder,
click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us on choice but to temporarily suspend your account."

The link did not hold the same url as displayed in the text!

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Look at this when I click the link you gave me!

You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks. To enter the PayPal website please click on the Welcome tab.
If you are already logged in, please click on the My Account tab to continue.

Keep in mind I have never used PayPal. :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
cidchase said:
The Gauge software creates a link containing the same url as the text when the "http", etc. is typed into a post. The link in the e-mail did not contain paypal.com even though the text of the message did.

Something like this:
http://www.aol.com

I get what your saying, but the info he gave doesnt show that. I guess I am missing something. Oh well. Good heads up! :D

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Public Service Announcement: Whenever reporting fraudulent e-mails to PayPal or other such online service, be sure you choose the "show full headers" option if it is available with your e-mail service. This allows PayPal to find the IP addresses and makes it easier to track fraudulent activity.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, like Mikey, I seem to get these every few days, but only at one of my email addresses. It's easy for me since I don't have a PayPal account. :rolleyes: Seems like it's the same email address where I get requests for me to check and verify my banking info at banks that aren't even in my state, job offers and of course, the infamous, Nigeria "get rich quick" offers. This is my Yahoo address, and there's one forum that I'm on that actually exposes that address in all my posts. I've had to change it once before because of this.:curse:

As Cid says, even the links that say "paypal.com", aren't. In Firefox, I can hold the cursor over the link and it shows me the true URL of that link at the bottom of the page, not what the email says it is. I would think that IE would so the same thing.

I delete every one of these and do not click on any link regardless of how tempting it might be. I may read them first since I want to see just how rich I could have been had I responded. Last year I think I passed up on $6,450,320,010.90 in potential profit.:D