Paulsen-Knudson Planning

jon-monon

I'm thinking that it's getting too tracky for the size and I'll probably cut back in some areas, make some changes and maybe add a round house.

Purple track is HOn30

Red HO standard gauge

Most of the HOn30 is up in the mountains (16 real inches up) on the left, except is grades down to the town on the right.

12" per division

Attachments

• garage5g.jpg
    garage5g.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 396

Tyson Rayles

Being a card carrying member of the "less is more" club, I tend to agree it is a little tracky. However it is a good plan, I would just thin the track out a little. Keep in mind scenery and buildings always take up way more space than you would think (don't ask how I know this :D :rolleyes: :p :D ).

shamus

Registered Member
Hi,
Yes I think perhaps you over tracked it a little, but the concept of the reverse loop and inner loop makes the trackplan unique to itself. I like it.
Shamus

Drew1125

Without knowing how the layout will be oriented in the room, I can't tell where the yard area will be situated...I would make sure that yoiu have easy hands-on access to it.
In fact, being that the plan is 8 or 9 ft. across, you will have to have some provision for accessing the middle...(operating pits, pop-up hatches, etc...) Remember 30" is about the maximum comfortable reach for the average adult.
Also, it looks like you've got some curves that are in the neighborhood of a 12" radius...this is EXTREMELY tight for HO scale, even narrow gauge. There's a lot of HO equipment that simply will not be able to negotiate a curve that sharp. If you use Tysons suggestion, & thin out the trackwork a little, that might allow you to loosen up those curves a little. I would try to use 18" as an absolute minimum when working in HO.

C

Catt

Hey Charlie ,18" is MY preferred minimum for N scale.:D Jon you'll like that narrowgauge on as wide a curve raduis as you can get.

jon-monon

Originally posted by Charlie
Without knowing how the layout will be oriented in the room, I can't tell where the yard area will be situated...I would make sure that yoiu have easy hands-on access to it.
In fact, being that the plan is 8 or 9 ft. across, you will have to have some provision for accessing the middle...(operating pits, pop-up hatches, etc...) Remember 30" is about the maximum comfortable reach for the average adult.

I'm still working on de-tracking :( It's just not easy to do after hand-laying all those pixels :(

To address Charlies concerns I'm showing the room size and clarifying the area around the yards. Other than the yards, the long reaches are the backs of mountains that shouldn't need so much reaching anywho :) Rev. 2 may have the yards moved to the left and Cobblers Knob moved to the center more. The optional back door is probably out. I don't know why I wanted to keep it anyway, there's beena Buick 231 sitting in front of it for years.

jon-monon

Hey my auto got mangled! And the text is gone too! It's a 77 MGB and the reason why we only go out 6 to 8 ft. The big cars I just need to get the nose in, but the B has to get in all the way :)

jon-monon

LOL! I'm working on that minor inconveniance. Seems that pesky Paulsen kid messed up the blim blammin brakes and we're waiting on parts, then out the door she goes!

jon-monon

Good God that first plan I posted looks like a plate of spaghetti! I'm hesitant to bring this old thread to the surface!

I'm somewhat torn between single and double main line. Keep in mind this is the trackage below the logging ops up in the mountains. I think I'll make a single version and post it later.

Thanks for the kick in the butt dear nameless person who did so so gently as to get me going :D :D :D

Attachments

• newgaragesm.jpg
    newgaragesm.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 305

jon-monon

And now we have the single main line ver

Seems to me by the time we add all the sidings, not much is gained by the loss of the second track :D :D :D

Attachments

• newgarage1ml.jpg
    newgarage1ml.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 103

jon-monon

This looks funny by itself, but it's the upper level track, the logging and mining operation. I show it seperately to "see" the gradient. :O

Attachments

• upperheights.jpg
    upperheights.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 103

jon-monon

OK, here's the double main line with the logging track in place:

Attachments

• newgaragealltrk.jpg
    newgaragealltrk.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 107

jon-monon

and the single w/ logging

Which one looks better in your eyes?

Attachments

• newgarage1mlalltrk.jpg
    newgarage1mlalltrk.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 106

jon-monon

And we are once again humbled as we attempt to think in 3 dimmensions... and no I didn't have a 3 year old little plastic person and his crayons do this one. HELP VAL!?!?!?!? HEEEEEELP!?!?!?

Attachments

• 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 99