patched railcars?

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
hi guys is there such thing as pacth box cars gons? as if owners changed and just roadnames were painted over but the rest of the paintjob still the same. its would be very helpful thanks:wave:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yes, I frequently see them around here in califorina, mostly lease companies buy onlder cars and restencil, or patch new repoting marks. The most extensive patching I've seen is a ferromex patch on an old NdeM boxcar. Enjoy! Poat some pics of your completed model too!

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
oops another thing i forgot to add do your think they did this kind of thing in the 30's and 40's? info would gladly be apreciated oh and thanks miles it helps :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think patching is a matter of pride and economics. In the 30s and 40s there were enough workers available that a good looking paintover would be tried, unless the road were completely broke. Another consideration is how urgently the cars were needed in service. Just indicating the change of ownersjip might be sufficient.
We have a local industry that seems to have acquired some old cars and their new marks look to have been done by hand, not even a stencil.