Past meets present

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
During a recent trip to the local train store my son was introduced to the steam era.

He was handed over the controls to a dcc steamer with sound and he has not been the same sinse.

All the way home he asked when could we get such a cool train for our layout ( he is six).

Our problem is that we are running modern trains I told him , of course he didn't care about such details he only cared about having one of those cool trains (as he put it) to run.

After much thought we came up with a great idea were we could have both era's on our layout .

We will now be offering nostalgic scenic journeys on our mountain line via steam .

I think the tourists are going to love it. :thumb:

I know my son will.

Tim K

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That's great Tim!!! The lure of steam is almost universal, I think. Fan trips are an excellent way to bring vintage equipment onto a modern layout. I have a Pennsy Doodlebug that I run as a "restored" fan tripper on my 1970 era PC layout just because I like it.
Now you've done it though...you've thoroughly addicted that boy to model railroading! :)Have fun!!
Ralph

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The power and draw of steam is not to be underestimated... with about fifty years since the last steamers worked the mains with any regularity, just ask a kid what trains say...

"Choo, choo" is always their answer...! ;) :) :D

Andrew

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Hey Tim, I went threw the exact thing 2 weeks ago. We picked up a small steamer w/ smoke. His layout is modern with some GP's and EMD's. My son is 7 and he doesn't care about the scenic era, he just likes watching the " cool steam loco". I sometimes have remind myself it's his layout and he can have anyway he wants it. He loves it. so I guess the era isn,t that important.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
well depending on well detailed your layout is you can switch time lines very fast. if nothing else get some passenager cars and run steam specials over your more recent model period.
i have one nyc hudson and the rest are mostly 60s to 90s era locomotives. I wouldnot switch back to any one time period i like my loco fleet as is

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Cool! what steamer is it? i admit i broke down similarly on my own 2 years ago. i spent all my christmas money on a Lionel HO Challenger. that was worth it. its currently the only running locomotive (i need more decoders, only the challenger has a decoder in it) and i think it was worth it. it sorta fits my layout in that it became a commuter engine, although that was in the west 50 years ago. i guess it can still pull the occaisonal NJT train, with a U34CH providing HEP

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
What a great story! I often wonder if we lose kid's interest in trains by showing them a model of an old steamer that has never entered into their life experience. Sure, they recognize and identify with a VIA or Amtrak train, but its nice to know the even though kids have not experienced steam that they are still drawn to it.

I live half my life near Duncan BC where there is a 'Discovery Forest'; a logging museum with plenty of Shays and Climax locomotives Best of all they give rides on an 0-4-0 and tender all day long during the tourist season. Its nice to see lots of tots getting their first taste of steam. If you have any inclinitation of coming to Vancouver Island, do make the trip to Discovery Forest. Be sure and wear a white shirt so that you can collect souvenir cinders!

Cheers,
Ed

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
ed acosta said:
What a great story! I often wonder if we lose kid's interest in trains by showing them a model of an old steamer that has never entered into their life experience. Sure, they recognize and identify with a VIA or Amtrak train, but its nice to know the even though kids have not experienced steam that they are still drawn to it.

yes, i believe thats exactly what's happening. I love Conrail and have quite an interest in NJT. many older railfans on other sites still remember the steam and the pre conrail or even penn central days. the AC6000CW is the new Big boy. its not just railfans that are surprised. unfortuneatly for me, steam hasn't grown any routes. sure its nice, but i'd rather see an E60CP at strausburg then head out to steam town. that almost sounds like heresy to some of the older guys, but i guess thats how time goes by.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Tim K said:
We havent bought anything but what ever we do buy it will
definately have sound :D .

Tim K

yeah i wish the same would be in my case. that stuff is expensive though. i might actually go for a GG-1 or SD40-2 from BLI. maybe the AC6000CW only because i like the way it sounds, lol. then again, the pennsy t-1 seems pretty cool and different. to bad no one makes the Pennsy S-1 steamer. now that i'd like to see.

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
green_elite_cab said:
yeah i wish the same would be in my case. that stuff is expensive though. i might actually go for a GG-1 or SD40-2 from BLI. maybe the AC6000CW only because i like the way it sounds, lol. then again, the pennsy t-1 seems pretty cool and different. to bad no one makes the Pennsy S-1 steamer. now that i'd like to see.

I can't argue that they are very expensive but the look on my sons face was priceless.

I am with you though I enjoy a nice steam engine but I really love the big modern locos.

Tim K

L

lester perry

Sound on steam is what got me to go DCC after swearing for years I would never go DCC. Now have 2 steam & 2 Diesles with sound. 4 down 46 to go. Just checked out an Alleghany H8 with sunami sound WOW. I have 2 of them running silent, for now ;) .
Les

L

lester perry

Oh yeah JB Hunt trucking uses a picture of a steam engine with a red circle and slash through it on thier trailers to say don't piggy back.
Les

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
60103 said:
The appeal of steam is that all the mechanism is there for you to see. Make sure you get one with lots of valve gear.
(which hobby shop? St Catharines or up the mountain?)

Actually it was in Grimsby , very nice guy who will do anything he can to help.

I I wrote in an earlier post how I didn't have much use for hobby stores because of there prices and now realize how wrong I was , I guess I just needed to find a good one .

I can still get better deals online but Peter's knowledge and willingness to help is what keeps me comming back.

Tim K