screech

Jul 13, 2005
Hello people. :wave:
Can someone explain how a passing contact switch works please. :confused:
Many thanks. :thumb:
Mark

screech

Jul 13, 2005
21 views and nothing, please people i'm desperate to know if i can use these for something. :confused:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
screech said:
21 views and nothing, please people i'm desperate to know if i can use these for something. :confused:
Mark,

To start with, welcome to the Gauge. Someone here probably has your answer, but it could be that the first 21 to view your post may not be among them or they could be "guests" who cannot post unless they register. I'm not sure what you are calling a "passing contact switch", but I have a feeling it's a switch that will allow you to throw more than one turnout at a time. On the other hand, if you had posted a picture or a description of what you have there, I, or someone else might have known better if that's what you're talking about.

In any event, there's nothing in modeling that is so "desparate" that you can't wait more than two hours for a good answer, so hang tight, help will show up.:wave::wave:

In the meantime, I did a search here on, 'passing contact switch' and got a couple of threads that might have information you can use.:)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Mark,

I wasn't familiar with the expression either but I Googled up and found this reference to Hornby's passing contact switches. The following link doesn't explain how to wire them up to your turnout (which I assume is the question...how to wire a switch to operate a powered turnout) but it does provide a picture and description of what it does. Scroll down a bit to "Switches" . Maybe this will prompt some one esle to provide the technical assistance needed.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/electronics.htm

Good luck! :wave:
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A passing contact switch is one where the electrical connection is made as the switch is moved and then broken again before the movement stops.
Picture a switch with a big lever coming outof the top, pivoted at the bottom (like a signal cabin). Wire connects to the lever. If the lever is moved, partway along the path it touches a contact and completes the circuit. (Throws the switch or whatever.) It keeps moving and eventually settles at the other end of its path.
Usually, the model version has 2 contacts -- one for each position of the switch or signal. So the first contact just keeps the switch as it was, while the second changes it. The big lever is a visual indication of the switch position.

What 60103 said. Passing contact switches are generally used for turnout motors of a solenoid variety to minimize the amount of time current passes through one of the coils. If current is allowed to pass through the coils for too long a time, they can burn out. I use Peco turnout motors and passing contact switches on my layout. The switches are SPST (single pole single throw).

I've never seen SPDT (single pole double throw) switches that have a passing contact mechanism, but I have seen ones that have a spring-loaded lever that returns the switch to its center position.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The passing contact switch is fairly standard in Britain. Peco make them. Hornby make them. Hornby-Dublo also had them. They are special units designed to join together and look like the levers in a signal cabin.