Passengers or freight?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I note most modellers of The Guage are freight oriented, I'm sorta the opposite with mostly passengers.

I've got 27 passenger cars and 17 freight cars & 2 passenger railmotors. 6 deisel locos and 1 steam, and an 2 electric suburban passenger sets. (one under constuction). The passenger cars make up 5 different consists (liveries).

Anyone else run passengers as well? Any pics of them?

BTW... what's wrong with passengers???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All the passenger consists and sets I run, I've riden on at one stage or another. Who else runs passenger sets that they have also ridden on? :cool:

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Woodie there is nothing wrong with passengers. In my case I'm free-lancing a prototype and in the time period I'm at there is no way to justify passengers. But there are a lot of reasons why most modelers do little if any passenger operations. A lot of people have small layouts and don't feel they have enough distance between towns or because of the small size they have curves to sharp for the 85 ft. cars to be able to make it around. If they can make it around they don't like they way they look with all that overhang. Also a lot of people don't feel there is enough switching action with passenger cars (this one applies to me for sure). I grew up riding the trains in this area and rode Amtrak not too long ago, but mainly for the last reason don't care to get into passenger operations. However if invited to particapate in an operating session on someone else's layout and they have passenger trains that's the job I'll sign up for first! Why? Less change I'll screw that up :D .

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Old Time Passenger Cars

I just ordered a set of old time overland cars [ MDC ] and an old time caboose to go with them. I will pull them with a Heavy Mikado steam engine. I think it will be a great look to be able to change to occaisionally.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Tyson,
I know what you mean about the overhang! No doubt you seen pics of Garahbara on here!

The consists I run, take up 50% of the track I run it on! It's sorta like the baggage car leaves the platform, just as the loco arrives at the other end! :rolleyes: :eek:

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Woodie I'm a passenger person. At shows I love running my heavy weight Santa Fe cars with steam, looking to order some smooth side Santa Fe "Valley Flyers" for my EMD E8 A+B locos. Almost all the shows I attend they seem to lean towards those long length freight car strings, it's impressive but I prefer a passenger run that goes and comes into view now and then. :)

Bill P.

COLOR=red]Did the bridge work?[/COLOR]

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's one for ya, Woodie!
Let's just say there was a derailment on the mainline, & this northbound L&N train has been rerouted onto the branchline...
Due to the branch's bad track, this train is going to be really late!

Attachments

• mvc-012f.jpg
    mvc-012f.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 140

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Woodie,
When I have the modules at show, I will ocasionally run a C&NW commuter train, an F40PH (CNW Metra) and four bilevel coaches. I also have some old wood coaches which are run behind a 4-6-0.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I agree with Bill, I love to see passenger trains run by. But as Tyson observed, smaller layouts here don't usually include passenger trains except for old time or narrow gauge (small old time as opposed to really old time). And passenger operation, to me at least (I know you can set out sleepers and diners, add a lounge and so on) is to limited to exclusively satisfy my operating interests. I lile way freights. So when enough space for both comes along, you truly can have the best of both worlds. My under construction layout features NYC 2 and 4 track main along the Hudson. Track is in and running, no scenery for awhile yet I'm afraid. The cars in my trains now are an assortment of factory painted NYC stuff, mostly not correct for a NYC car, but fine for the next several years. So much to do, so little time!

Gary

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
For my passenger service I run the old style cars with steam . I have one set of early sixties C&NW cars but as of right now my curves are just to tight for them. I guess I will have to wait till I get further down the line on my layout and open up some room for them.:eek:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Freight or Passenger

I have to say : Both!

I have a Standard Gauge Passenger Set I bring out at X-mas and set up around the tree. (The only temporary setup I have)

These are permanent:

I run Passenger on my HO, along the walls in my dining room.-- The Acela Set.

I run Freight in G, N, HO, and Z (Briefcase).
:D :cool: :D

These layouts are the reason why...... (see Signature) :)

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I'm going to run a custom passenger excursion, featuring a steam engine and three custom-painted 60' Harriman coaches, as well as a caboose (and a diesel somewhere in there, which is required according to my operating rules). The coaches, diesel, and caboose will all be in the Heather Valley roadname.

I'd also **LOVE** to get my hands on a UK Virgin set; they look *A*M*A*Z*I*N*G*, IMHO. Saw one on ebay today, but out of my price range right now; long-term purchase plan, though.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
My I deal layout includes a point to point passenger train run featuring two Japanese double-ended super view Odoriko trians running opposite directions. I love the look of passenger and trolly trains. (some of you may remember my search for a BART type train several months ago.) I will run my passenger train on my small layout occasionaly until I get approval from the zoning commity (read wife) to start the next big thing.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Ahhh yes the zoning committee. I spent the entire day Saturday cleaning out the garage - sorting, organizing, sweeping - and the first thing my wife says when she walks into the garage?

"So how much room is this layout of yours going to take up?"

I proceeded to show her the approximate dimensions, at which point she nodded her head, and reversed course back towards the house.

gromit

Mar 25, 2002
Pleasantville, NJ
Visit site
Passangers are more fun

I think passanger are more fun, you could have them unload at the train station and illagally cross the tracks against the signal crossings. Then BANG!, the express train takes out half of a family. Morbid? Hey I thought model trains were suppose to be fun. :rolleyes:

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Well, I model both European and North American RR's. My Europe models are mainly passenger (like the real european RR), and my USA ones are -you guess-, mainly freight. I really don't like AmTrak (sorry AmTrak fans :rolleyes: ), and I would model also american passenger if I could find good quality RTR passenger models of the end of 40's to beginning of 60's (I would LOVE to have a nice California Zephyr :p )

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have mostly passenger trains on my layout; I find I can't resist a lovely train all in Maroon or Teak or Malachite Green. I also find that I didn't allow for any goods sidings on my layout -- the goods trains have a set of sidings at one station and nothing at the other end.

Most of my American stock is freight -- don't know why. I know that people who are into operation find that there's more action with freight trains.

I'm looking for a figure casting of a "City Gent" -- English businessman with in bowler hat with briefcase, rolled up umbrella and copy of The Times. I picture a platform with about thirty of them -- all identical.