Parts for Athearn GE U30b needed

Glen Haasdyk

I'm cleaning up an old Athearn U30b for a friend who's getting into model railroading. It came with a burnt out motor but I fortunetly I have that on hand already. What I need though at the front and rear handrails, not the stantions, just the rails themselves. as well as the parts that go on the top of the shell. I'm not sure what they are, probably horns but there are tree holes. it's also missing the two air tanks that sit on the frame. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Russ Bellinis

Do you have a local hobby shop? They can order any replacement parts directly from Athearn. Athearn has always made all of the parts they use in their kits available, but I don't know if Horizon is continuing the practice.

NYC-BKO

Glen,

I've been having a hard time getting parts for the older Athearns too, seems shops stopped restocking them with the Horizon announcement last year.
Anyhow, the front and rear are pretty straight forward handrails and could be made easily, no intricate bends in them, the air tanks, you can use the Stewart U25B tanks as a substitute or the Details West part #263 a little more expensive though. The roof details are the horn and a monster bell which was a SP prototype you probably don't need for the road you are modeling, again you can substitute. It's up to you.

Here the Athearn parts #'s
Air tank 34015 pkg of 3.
Handrails 34019.
Horn 34006 pkg of 6.
Bell 34007 pkg of 6.

NYC-BKO

Glen,

Here a link to Athearns parts they still show all them as stock
http://www.athearn.com/Support/Parts.aspx
You can almost buy a new engine on sale for what they want for all the parts!

I can't post a picture but I will take a rail off and trace the outside and scan it and try to e-mail it to you. My scanner shrinks ever so slightly and I'm hoping tracing the outside it shrink to scale size.

2slim

Glen
I actually have a set of U28/30B handrails unopened. I also have a undecorated U30B dummy which I was going to build into to a cabless unit, because when I bought it the cab was missing. I have a hi hood casting from High Tech but I don't have the part which replaces the cab area. All the parts are there, except the cab, I'll throw in theDummy + high hood casting for say $10 + shipping? Handrails $4 + shipping.

PM me if interested.
2slim