Paper to Styrene- Inspired by CJTK1701

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by Soaring, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Well, I was inspired by CJTK1701, and also by chrism-lee from Flickr. After seeing CTJ's threads of paper to plastic, I wanted to try my hand at this type of modeling. Since I have extra-as in extra I mean like the entire kit printed twice- templates of Hazel, I've decided to use Hazel :/ I'm pretty redundant when it comes to modeling, but I mean, Hazel is just so awesome! And since Styrene is so much thicker than Cardstock, in some cases, and it takes in paint really well! It calls for a thicker, detailed Model :D

Eh, I think I'll start off on the feet. Oh yeah, updates will come in between persay. 4-6 days, since I still nedda learn how to cut properly. I'm learning while doing this, so bear with me :thumb:

Attached Files:

2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Great, I'm really glad to see this. I've been hoping someone would pick up the sword and go into battle with me. Battle against the styrene gods. Whoot!
  3. Soaring

Well, I'm not going to be a very good soldier out there, I'm inexperienced sign1 And that's why I'm learning, I hope to make this model as good as the many Styrene models out there....(They look so cool!)

I'll start on this model after I shower.
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You're going to do just fine. the first step is actually taking a step and not just sitting and thinking about it, then you have to be willing to make mistakes and you have to be willing to follow through. Learn from your mistakes, don't beat yourself up over making one.:thumb:
  5. Soaring

^_^ Well, I tried my hand at another test build, this time with glue xD

I think my cuts came out pretty good, but I'm not so sure. The glue worked ok, up until I hit a part where the top layer of styrene was torn. I glued it, and it ripped into an entire mess :)

Alright, I think I've got the hang of this, now the only thing I'm afraid of is the head, I might just do that in paper >_>

Attached Files:

6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You're doing fine man. your first work is going to be mostly experimental and trial and error. don't let that get you down. Steppin Razor just gave some great advice in the 1/350th thread. Try what he says and try developing your own methods. don't let any one thing stop you. If you get frustrated set it down and come back to it later. don't lose hope and don't think of yourself as a failure. Just Keep on Trekkin and stay with it. If you want to square up your corners, try taking a little time and visualizing what you want and how to go about it. Also, remember to subtract the thickness that you're working with from each cut that joins with another part, but don't subtract from both. Does that make sense?

7. Soaring

Truly? Nope, Sorry :D Wait, do you mean like..one side, if tooken off layers of it, will be able to match the corresponding one?

I'll see what I can do, I'll try out Steppin Razor's ideas, then maybe fill it with something of my own :D
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yes, on both counts!:thumb:
  9. Soaring

Time to gather up some more materials! And switch the model :/ I'm going to try Arcearth, seems easy to do outta Styrene ^_^
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looking forward to your progess, like I said, just Keep on Trekkin and keep in touch!:thumb:
  11. Soaring

I'll keep in touch with this thread, every 4 days xD
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Cool beans, just don't get in a rush. Take your time and don't worry about making a mistake now and then. It's going to happen.:mrgreen:

13. Soaring

Slowy Unraveling....Let's start with the head :thumb:

Personally, I stick the outline onto the styrene by means of tape :/

Attached Files:

14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You're doing great. just take it step by step.:thumb:
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Anything new on this?
  16. Soaring

So far, not really. I've tried it again over the break, and tried to get those lined edges Smooth :curse:

I gained more inspiration by chrislmee who's working on such an amazing Styrene model, WOW. I think tomorrow I'd better put on my working cap on start again, thanks CJT for getting me back on track :p
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

We all need a little boost now and then. Trust me, I understand the difficulties, glad you found inspiration. don't give up and don't let mistakes, or misstarts stop you.:thumb:
  18. Soaring

Alrighty then! I guess I'll start tomorrow, after school :)
  19. Soaring

AHHA! It ain't over till I'm finished! As so, I'm going to finsih this Styrene model...So I can rub it in my brother's face and say this time it ain't paper! Nah, but I also wanna experience the rush of finsihing one of these.

So, I picked up my weapons, and am ready to face the Styrene ....You know...

Attached Files:

20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

LOL. There is a time when it's fun indeed, rubbing the fruits of your labor into the faces of the....... doubters..?!?!?

Don't you just love expanding your horizons, while others sit and frown?:mrgreen::cool: