Paper to Plastic Star Trek Enterprise.

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by CJTK1701, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

Hi folks, I just want to say that I have been privileged to see the first pictures of the first pull. The kit is AMAZING!! The plastic is very thick and amazingly almost as thick as the Polar Lights refit. The vacu-former did one hell of a job. The kit will go together very easily with minimal effort. It really is amazing. The kit will not disappoint.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Man I'm like Russell, why would anyone be-grudge, be-rate, and be-little someone that is doing something that they enjoy, and really created with their on hands and imagination.

Heck they must really be intimidated by your preliminary work that they would start a hate campaign before you have even created the first parts of your model.

Amazing.......... truely amazing.:cry:

I too can't wait to see the pics.

Keep on Truck'n!

john
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I really can't speak to someone else's motivations. All I can say is that it's been a rough road to hoe. You would think that I had tugged on Superman's cape, or pulled the mask off of the ole Lone Ranger. Even though I showed the step by step process, day by day and even though there wasn't a kit on the marjet yet, I was called a recaster.

The kit will speak for itself as will the next one and the next one and the next one.

I would put the pictures up right now, but I have to talk to my vac former first.

I can tell you this, this ship is going to surprise a lot of people and there's going to be a fair share of crow going around and I'll be passing out the plates.:grin:

4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The Proof is in the Puddin.

Here are the pictures of the very first pull, from the finished masters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Can I cook, or can't I?"

But seriously, I have to thank Alan Sinclair and Ron Caudillo. If these guys hadn't set the stage and provided the templates well....... It would have been a lot harder and taken a lot longer.

I'd also like to thank those that stood by my side when the fur was flying. I think things are going to change after a few paople see these pictures.

Remember, this was all done in two months.:grin:
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Just click. Block. Close.

Go on your merry way. Screw those who are obviously jealous to what you are doing.
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Oh I am. When I saw these pictures, for the first time tonight, I almost had a Trekgasm. I worked hard on these masters, if the face of unbelievable negativity and was determinded throughout, to finish it, but there were times.......

I think the biggest surprise was when someone who had been doing this for awhile, looked at my masters and the first pull and could not believe this was my first kit and that I had done it all by hand without any high dollar tools. That was flattering.

You should know too, that in that span of time, I've done the graphics for the website, the decals, the windows masks and had to remake two molds, that cracked from stress.

Looking at these pictures and knowing how the fans are going to flip over this ship, will make me a very happy man.

I've already got two other craft in the works and will be making a TOS era Miranda, Tug, Destroyer etc from these components. So really, you are looking at the building blocks of several different ships.:grin:

You can also look forward to a 1/350 SS Botany Bay, a Nomad and a 1/350 D-7 Klingon Cruiser. That's just for starters.

I'm building the ships I would have drooled over as a kid.:grin:
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Those do look great!

Well now you know how to make everybody happy...............

Start designing card models for us............... make your master pieces and vac-u-form plastic for the other guys............. simple! :twisted: :grin:

On re-casting........... isn't that how resin casters create "add-on" after market pieces to fit specific plastic model kits? Yes they do change, modify and or embellish the part, but they do cast a mold from the original part............ right? Hey no different in my book.

john
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'd love to do just that. In fact, I DL'd pepakura and the viewer last night.

I'm trying to find the best tutorial I can, to get started, but right now this kit comes first. I'm really interested in how to do this and have even asked for a little preliminary help. I went to webdudes site again last night and I'm hoping to give this a go very soon.

As an update.... We're working on getting the site back up and we're putting together a BBS right now.

As for the "Recasters" no comment.

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey don't take me wrong......... I was just saying people in glass houses should not through stones..........

I think they are pi$$ed because they did not think of it first!:grin:

john
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^You may have a point.:grin:

I would bet money, more than one is going to try it now.
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The begining.

I've been working on getting the website together and putting together the BBS. Since this forum is about paper craft. I thought I would go back and show the process of how I did this, from the begining.

First of all, I wanted a 32.5" ship, so I had to go in and resize the Alan Sinclair Blueprints and the Ron Caudillo model to match. After doing this I started the process below.

In the clickable image below, you can see the first part I made. This is one of the ship nacelles and a point that I thought would be a good place to start. This is the full sized nacelle core.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to use 8X10 cardstock, as that's what I had on hand. Below are the two, over lapping sections that I printed up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then went in and resized the Engineering section from Ron's model.
    [​IMG]

After which, I overlayed the Eng section of the Alan Sinclair prints, to check for proper sizing.
    [​IMG]

The two sections were trimmed and taped together.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...then rolled and filled with expanding foam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the foam had been allowed to dry, I trimmed to overflow off of each end of each piece and this is what you see below. Here you see two nacelles and the main engineering section.
    [​IMG]

Below is a shot of the three primary components, compared with similar existing models. This is before the use of any fiberglass.
    [​IMG]

I'll update this thread more a little later. Any input, or feedback is welcome.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

OK, here is a little more of the process and some more pictures.

I printed up a sized shot of the nacelle pylons and used some balsa wood and rod stock to make a sturdy pylon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I checked to make sure that I had the right tolerance and took these pieces into the garage and covered them with fiberglass screen and two part resin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the basic supplies I used. I essentially used paper, tape, glue, scissors and fiberglass to get this far.
    [​IMG]

The saucer section was a little different and therefore required a slightly different approach.

Here's a sized print section of Alan Sinclairs blueprint. This is sized for the 32.5" Enterprise.
    [​IMG]

Another print of Alan's and as you can see the begining of the decals.
    I have Alan's permission to show these prints and when I get my site back up I'll be hosting them for free.
    [​IMG]

For the saucer section, I took Alan's prints and sectioned them just for use with the saucer. Forst the entire saucer.
    [​IMG]

Them I split the saucer into two parts. Lower and upper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used those parts to make templates, then printed several of each and used them to cut sections out of balsa wood. Those parts were layed out on a print of the saucer and I built up a frame work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I had the framework complete, I used taped to build the surface up a bit and layed the screen over the top and applied the two part resin.
    [​IMG]

Over the top of that, I layed a sectioned blueprint and more resin.
    [​IMG]

Now I had most of my basic shapes.
    [​IMG]

It was at this point that I thought I should print up a sectioned copy of the separate prints, in order to keep check on my parts dimensions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the pictures below, you can see the begining of what I was considering for an interior superstructure. I've since found that this will be unneccesary. The thickness of the parts makes the interior structure unneccesary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come.
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This is a very interesting approach. It's simplicity makes it even more attractive!

It feels like the first time that I discovered madeling with paper. Such a simple idea, why did it never occur to me!?!

Keep em coming, I'm enjoying the show!:grin:

Russell
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^ Thanks, I sincerely appreciate that. I'm working on a lot of things, concerning this craft, but I'll be sure to keep adding updates. I'll have some more, shortly. Keep on Checkin and Keep on Trekkin!:grin:
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Below you see the top of the saucer section layed out over a print.
    [​IMG]

In the next image you see the same part covered with screen and two part resin.
    [​IMG]

Here I set up the framework for the BC deck.
    [​IMG]

In the next image are the saucer section components as well as the pylons, engineering section and the nacelles.
    [​IMG]

Next you see the engineering section. It looks a little rough, but I had several layers at this point and had extended the length back, to compensate for the thickness gained from the separate layers.
    [​IMG]

The following pictures are the neck and BC deck respectively.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the pylons and the nacelle core look much better with a little primer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I began building up layers of polyester fiberglass, or Bondo. It became very intensive at this point. Lots of layers and lots of sanding.
    [​IMG]
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I did say earlier that the idea has the beauty of simplicity but I, in no way, meant to imply that the work itself was a piece of cake.:cry:
    I've done some bondo work on an old Triumph TR7 and I know first hand, this is not going to get done quickly if you want it done right. That Bondo had to be smooth and nearly perfect in order to get a pull that was perfect as the pics you've shown us. Wow, and then to do it all over again and until you get it right! I admire your tenacity!
    While the pictures are showing your process at every step, can you give us an idea of how many days you are into the project?

Very nice work!:grin:

Russell
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

To be honest, what I'm showing you is done and the parts have been at the vacuum former for some time. I got off to a great start and had the majority of what you see done in two weeks. Then I was told by one of the modeling forums that I had to have a site, before I showed pictures. So, with the help of my then business partner, we built a site. After that I was told I had to have a company to show pictures, so I put that together. Shortly after that I was told I had to have a product, not just pictures, but an actual kit. Well, now I have a set of masters, I have a company, I have the decals, I have the windows masks, I have the basic electronic circuit, I have the website and I'm working on a forum..... But still some modeling boards don't want me to post until it's in the bag and I suspect that even then, they will not want me to post. So...... I'll post in my own forum, on my own website......:grin:

I started on October the 5th and have everything done, but rebuilding the site and polishing the forum. Basicly, I had the masters and the kit done in two months.

I should note that Alan Sinclair helped with the decals and I've had a couple of friends backing me up on this project, or I would have given up several times.
  18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

CJ,

You are more than welcome to post any and all progress pictures you have of this or any future kit

Do not worry that I or anyone else will try to limit you in what you can or can not post here.

Rick
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes, we enjoy creativity here! The more the merrier!:grin:

Russell
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thank you Sir. I sincerely appreciate that. It's the first form of support that I have recieved from a modeling board since this all began. I've been shut down virtually every where I've gone and have been treated like a pariah. I really do appreciate the sentiments I've recieved here. Makes up for some of the insanity. Frankly, I've been kind of waiting for the next shoe to drop.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.