Paper to Plastic ROM BOP

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by CJTK1701, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'll be beginning a new project with this thread, my plan is to build a ROM BOP using Horissman's paper model as a template for the main parts and using extended media for some of the domes, etc. I've have Horissman's permission to use his paper model and if you would like to build along with me, please go to his site and download the model.

sci-fi paper models |

This was originally seen in this thread....
    http://forum.zealot.com/t153007/

I had one of these mostly done, but it was crushed by a 2" X 8" 16' stud that I was using in making floor joists in my garage, as was the Klingon D-7.

As soon as I finish this build, I'll go forward with the K D-7 using templates from the AMT model that was pantographed from the original studion model.

I'll continue on the Enterprise, but photos will be few until I get a new digital camera, or until I fix the one I have.

Hopefully I'll get that sorted out and will be able to work on the Botany Bay as well. Keep on Trekkin!:thumb:

Don't buy it, build it. don't talk about it, do it!:thumb:
  2. saiyagohan

saiyagohan New Member

Looking forward to your progress on this model Joe. If it is anything like the Enterprise I am sure it will be excellent work.:thumb:
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thanks Sai, now if I can just just get my flippen camera to work. It's always something!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OOOOHHHHH very cool :)
    Chris
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm really glad there's some interest in this type of thing. I have to tell you, it's really fun to do and it's great being on a forum that appreciates talent, lord knows I've seen plenty of it around here. Looking forward to getting some photos up, as soon as I can get a camera worked out. I've got two dgital cameras, but both are on the fritz. I'll try to get one going ASAP and get on with the process.:thumb:
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here's the first shot of the new project. I've built up part of the framing, built one of the nacelles and will be using that to make two more, you'll see what I mean later. Anyway, here's the first pic.

[​IMG]
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

This will be cool! Since Richard Long left Starship Modeler this will be a great alternative to his BoP. :mrgreen:
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well, the fact is anyone can do this and you can resize it to any size you want. It just takes a little patience and perseverance. I hope to show every step of the process, just like with the Enterprise, but not quite as....... Well, let's say it wont be beaten to death.:mrgreen:
  9. saiyagohan

saiyagohan New Member

Looks Good Joe,a nice start to this. Can't wait to see this tweaked.:thumb:
  10. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

the botany bay sound sinteresting what paper model will you be using?,the deceased urich prahns (r.i.p. created some excellent work)or the other models whos creators name escapes me ?:thumb:
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The Botany Bay will be made from a combination of references.

Here's a little recent work. My next step is to fill the framework with foam, let it expand, trim it down and continue the the build. The pylons will be traced and cut from balsa wood and the wood inserted into the paper pylons. All of this is pretty much the way I did the Enterprise and the Delta.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/6242amu/1a-RomBop1.jpg

[​IMG]
  12. saiyagohan

saiyagohan New Member

What Scale is this going to be Joe? It looks Very Promissing.
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

It looks to be about the same scale as the original AMT model, so I'm guessing about 1/650. I didn't size it up any as I was looking to just make one this way and share it with the community. I may make a larger one later, but I want to get through this one first. I plan on sizing the K D-7 up and the BB will be approximately 1/350.:mrgreen:
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here are some of the most recent update photos. I'm trying to take this a little slower, so that I can show each and every step without getting ahead of myself.

Foaming the framework.....
    [​IMG]

Preparing to trace out the pylons.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/6242amu/1a-RomBop4.jpg

I'm laminating three pieces of balsa together, to add stiffness and to allow for a little sculpting of the shape. I'll trace outside of the actual part template to give myself a little extra meat for sculpting.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/6242amu/1a-RomBop5.jpg

I used the original nacelle form and filled it with foam, then I wrapped a paper sleeve around the formed part to get a nacelle blank that extends past the dimensions of the original. I'll make another one of these for the other side. My reason for doing this is simple... as I add fiberglass and resin to the outside it will thicken the part, having a longer nacelle blank will allow me to make the parts sturdy and give me the room I need going backwards to compensate for the thickness. Once these nacelles are done, I'll wrap a template around them, mark them and cut to fit.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/6242amu/1a-RomBop6.jpg
  15. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

this is looking really good jo i think i may try this after following your build thru:thumb: keep up the great work !!!!!!:wave:
  16. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

just been thinking i think ill try you concept on the romulan scoutship that im building (check my thread in sci fi models )but on a big scale thanks jo for your insperation !!!:thumb:
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You needn't thank me. I'm more than happy to help people and show that you don't have to spend huge money on garage kits when you can make your own. It's kind of become my mission in life. To show that anyone can do this and it isn't a mystery. :D:thumb:
  18. saiyagohan

saiyagohan New Member

How is this coming Joe? It looks Great so far. :thumb:
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

It's coming along great. I'll have more photos today. Got behind in real life stuff and had to give my house and wife some attention, not to mention the car and the truck..... it never ends.:confused:
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here you go. this was done in days, while working on other projects and doing the "Honey Do" thing. Trust me anyone can do this. Soon these parts will be ready to cast, or wrap in fiberglass. Days, not weeks...... Days, not months...... Days, not years.sign1

After cleaning up the framework....
    [​IMG]

attaching next sheet...

[​IMG]

Forming up the pylons with balsa wood laminate.

[​IMG]

Almost ready for casting.

[​IMG]

Don't buy, it build it. Don't think about it, Do it!:thumb::cool: