Paper Tank Turrets: Best Method to Make it Round??

MilanX3

Jul 18, 2011
Canada
Thank you so much Lehc,

That is exactly what I was looking for, and accompanies Zath's printout perfectly indeed. This is one of the best techniques, but I am open to other suggestions as there can always be different methods for different needs. I have barely touched the surface of this technique so nothing would be used inappropriately or sold, its for my own personal hobby. I hope it helps other beginners as well as this thread has been useful indeed.

I have tried two techniques recently with varying levels of success.

I have made a turret out of hardened clay materials and used it to make a mold of the shape with tinfoil. I made a paper mache mash and used it to fill the mold. It turned out quite well as I need to cover the shape in the paper from the model I have on the printout of the Lowe.

The second was to find a similar shape on a bottle cap or top of a container and build the paper model around it. It came out ok in that I was able to achieve the top curves with paper, but I wasnt able to get the side angle of the turret correct, as it skirts out more than I originally noticed. It looks ok, could be better.

Thanks all!
Rich

MilanX3

Jul 18, 2011
Canada
UPDATE: Lowe Turret Finals

So after much discussion on this thread on the best way to make the Lowe turrets, and alot of experimentation, I have come up with my two best simple options for intermediate paper modellers.

As I mentioned in my last post, I took to making a mache material that formed into quite a strong faux fibreglas. It worked well for making parts of all kinds, but after making a few turrets I still required a reverse mould of the Lowe. For this I sought out a round plastic circle. After finding two broad caps on an ice tea bottle cap, I used one for a mould. Unfortunately, it didnt turn out as nice as I hoped for. Usually they turn out great, but I was not satisfied with the mould as it didnt come out even. With a lack of patience, I instead built the paper parts from the initial layout I put together to build around the plastic cap. I used two turret layouts and built the paper top and sides to hug the cap sides.

The issue with the Lowe if you have a good look at it is that the sides are not straight, but skirt around the top circle of the turret. This was what was giving me trouble as on many pics of the Lowe is sometimes looks as if the sides go straight down, and they do not. So I built a second wall of paper around the cap/paper covered turret and it came out great. The turret without the skirt was quite circular, and as it shows on diagrams of the Lowe it skirts out. The second paper skirt was a good system in any case. The second wall, or the skirt can also be removed as it did not require glue. This is the rounder of the two turrets in the pics seen in the attached.

At the same time I built the cap turret, I also made a turret out of the card of a used cereal box and curved the edges of the top card piece so it took the rounded edges of the turret. I also used two turret layouts to get a smoother edge with paper on paper on paper and enough glue so the paper took the edge in a crisp manner with limited wrinkling. I also angled the sides a bit and came out with a decent turret for the Lowe. This is the second less rounded turret in the pictures.

Both took a bit of time indeed and were both great options that can be used. As a turret on its own, the cap turret is a better and more versatile design, but the card turret looks a bit better with the chassis I find. I left a paper part on the top of the mantlet unglued on the cap design so I can adjust the skirt, but it is intended to be glued in final position in the future.

Zath's suggested technique as shown by both Zath and Torque were also great options, but it would have required a alteration of my initial layout. Zath's example of how to do it on the computer program would be a better option if one has the skills to do a new layout with the program and turret design in mind from the beginning. Torque showed the sectional turret on the AK-130 turret and Zath was very kind in producing a computer paper layout. Traditional techniques used by Leyc were very useful to get the best curves on the two turrets I did in the pics. I am sure many novice and intermediate modellers can use this thread as a good learning source in the future. Thanks to everyone!!

For the Lowe chassis, you can see in the pics with the turrets that I used an initial layer and then added the angled upper layer on top, the Cake Boss technique. As you can see, I have pics of the chassis with both turrets, which do you prefer?

For the chassis itself, It is not the main focus of this thread but I dont mind discussing it with anyone if they wish.

Please see the attached pics for reference.

Cheers,
MilanX3

Thank you so much Lehc,

That is exactly what I was looking for, and accompanies Zath's printout perfectly indeed. This is one of the best techniques, but I am open to other suggestions as there can always be different methods for different needs. I have barely touched the surface of this technique so nothing would be used inappropriately or sold, its for my own personal hobby. I hope it helps other beginners as well as this thread has been useful indeed.

I have tried two techniques recently with varying levels of success.

I have made a turret out of hardened clay materials and used it to make a mold of the shape with tinfoil. I made a paper mache mash and used it to fill the mold. It turned out quite well as I need to cover the shape in the paper from the model I have on the printout of the Lowe.

The second was to find a similar shape on a bottle cap or top of a container and build the paper model around it. It came out ok in that I was able to achieve the top curves with paper, but I wasnt able to get the side angle of the turret correct, as it skirts out more than I originally noticed. It looks ok, could be better.

Thanks all!
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 7
Z

Zathros

For me, it is quit easy to make the necessary sections for any turret. With using a rounded hard surface such a Lehcyfer suggests, and a little practice, any turret of sufficient quality can be made. There are two differences that should be pointed out though. When you make a model that you intend to paint, your options increase dramatically. I would suggest a plaster of Paris plug carved with files, Dremel tools, etc, or any other suitable medium, to get the shape desired. Then using a paper latex to make a rubber mold off of it. Paper putty,which is easy to make, could be made at a fairly thick wall thickness on the inside of the mold, and Popsicle sticks, balsa, or any other rigid material which will give support can be added while the putty is wet. When this dries, the rubber mold can be gently removed, and the turret is 80% done. Since the model is going to be painted, all finishing work can be done and the end result will be an extremely believable seamless turret.

This is quite a different way of making models for people who wish to print them out and put them together with no finishing and certainly no painting. There certainly is a place for this, a big place for this.

These vastly different techniques of methods of paper models are what lead to nice looking paper models and objects that look like the miniaturization of the subject at hand. I think there is ad advantage to making a model you kow you will be painting. It can be much more work, and there could be room for doing both methods in one model, but the painted surface will almost always have a finish that separates it from it's printed counterpart. In the end, it what makes you happy, and keeps you enjoying the hobby that matters.

I am presently working on a 1:1 scale 1973 MG Midget, with an operating engine and transmission. It has no printed parts, well, some labels, and will actually support a driver and passenger, and the motor can tolerate running on gasoline (or petrol for some of you guys)!.

Just as a reminder, if someone needs a shape they are having difficulty with, I am always happy to give a hand. :)

MilanX3

Jul 18, 2011
Canada
For me, it is quit easy to make the necessary sections for any turret. With using a rounded hard surface such a Lehcyfer suggests, and a little practice, any turret of sufficient quality can be made. There are two differences that should be pointed out though. When you make a model that you intend to paint, your options increase dramatically. I would suggest a plaster of Paris plug carved with files, Dremel tools, etc, or any other suitable medium, to get the shape desired. Then using a paper latex to make a rubber mold off of it. Paper putty,which is easy to make, could be made at a fairly thick wall thickness on the inside of the mold, and Popsicle sticks, balsa, or any other rigid material which will give support can be added while the putty is wet. When this dries, the rubber mold can be gently removed, and the turret is 80% done. Since the model is going to be painted, all finishing work can be done and the end result will be an extremely believable seamless turret.

This is quite a different way of making models for people who wish to print them out and put them together with no finishing and certainly no painting. There certainly is a place for this, a big place for this.

These vastly different techniques of methods of paper models are what lead to nice looking paper models and objects that look like the miniaturization of the subject at hand. I think there is ad advantage to making a model you kow you will be painting. It can be much more work, and there could be room for doing both methods in one model, but the painted surface will almost always have a finish that separates it from it's printed counterpart. In the end, it what makes you happy, and keeps you enjoying the hobby that matters.

I am presently working on a 1:1 scale 1973 MG Midget, with an operating engine and transmission. It has no printed parts, well, some labels, and will actually support a driver and passenger, and the motor can tolerate running on gasoline (or petrol for some of you guys)!.

Just as a reminder, if someone needs a shape they are having difficulty with, I am always happy to give a hand. :)

You have all been a great help...now where can I see pictures of the progress of the 1:1 MG Midget?? :)