Paper stiffener

Firestreak

Dec 4, 2012
I just thought I could share this idea with you. I noticed when making curved or rounded sections in my models, there was a tendancy for the paper to 'spring or distort' from the true shape, due to the paper trying to retain its original flat texture. What I have found (and works well) is a covering of..... superglue (cyanoacrylate). Basically when a curved piece is made, (eg, a lorry mudguard) arrange the piece in its final shape with masking tape. Paint on the superglue with a cheap disposabe brush and spray with accellerator. (Accellerator makes glue set immediatly) remove tape and presto ... the shape doesnt spring back. Its now got a thin plastic layer on in and its waterproof. Can be painted, varnished and even SANDED! I get the glue at my local cheapo store and accellerator from the well known internet auction site .:wave:

Z

Zathros

I do the same thing with water. I make a shape that I want, wet the part, if you use Pigment Ink, the Ink won't run, shape the part gently, as you can still push the ink off, and then let dry. You would not believe the compound shapes you can get with this method. If the part is just white paper, you really go nuts, as you will be painting it. :)

Bob Gurkin

Dec 24, 2012
Good tips of shaping the parts. The accelerator is avalible on the well known auction site. Just put "CV glue accelerator" in the search engine and it will come up. Comes in a spray bottle.

Z

Zathros

Good tips of shaping the parts. The accelerator is avalible on the well known auction site. Just put "CV glue accelerator" in the search engine and it will come up. Comes in a spray bottle.

I would recommended getting the on pray stuff. l can use it with pin point accuracy. Using a tooth pic dipped in t and putting a small tin drop works real well for paper models. Anytime you spray this kind of chemical in the air atomizes it and you could contaminate a large area. If you have a shop set up for working with anything that's fine but working inside a house on a bench, you have to be careful. I rarely use CA glues, only the Gel type, with which the accelerator works incredibly well. :)

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
I do the same thing with water. I make a shape that I want, wet the part, if you use Pigment Ink, the Ink won't run, shape the part gently, as you can still push the ink off, and then let dry. You would not believe the compound shapes you can get with this method. If the part is just white paper, you really go nuts, as you will be painting it. :)

Zathros

Did you write you do the same thing (shaping) with... WATER? Really? Could you please post a video teaching us newbie maggots how to do it? Thanks!

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Sep 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
If you're using a print out model from a PDF your best chances is to paint it with a canvas grade enamble for a base coat then print out a detialed side of that model to put over it.

I would recommend my water quenching technique but some of the old-guard PDF modelers will think it is lunacy to dip your model into water.

I'll save the detials for the uninitiatied.