Paper Shell w/ Micro RC Car Chassis ?

domingojs23

Aug 3, 2007
Dear Friends,

Has anyone here tried making model trains using a paper shell, and with a micro RC Car as the Chassis / Motor ? I got the idea from the later generation of Lego trains, which are RC controlled.

With such a combination, one could then also scratchbuild track quite easily, as there is no need to use the track as the conductor for the electricity powering the train engine.

Thanks !

Gary

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Gary,

R/C control with on board battery power is popular with the large scale out door model railroaders. there ias some equipment available for use in smaller scales, and some folks are experimenting with it, but usually for a specific train, run in addition to others, on a traditional DC or DCC layout.

the problem with a conversion of an RC car is they tend to be geared for speed, whereas model train equipment is best geared lower.

Back in the 1970's I had a friend who was into oddball ( non EMD / GE - Baldwin , Alco, and fairbanks Morse) Nothing was available in model form at that time. He would modify Athern frames, and built bodies out of card stock. A lot of the guys made fun of his efforts; I think they were jealous, as his workmanship and creativity were way out there.

Bill Nelson

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Gary,

I can't recall where I saw it, but I think it was on Carl Arendt's website, where some guy took a Bachmann/Model Power equivalent Hustler and the guts from one of the small r/c cars and combined the two. That way the motor controls from the car worked with the loco and built a new body for it too (I think he was making a Gn15 loco). If I can find where I saw it I'll post it.

Tyler

domingojs23

Aug 3, 2007
Hi Tyler,

Many thanks for the links ! The examples are extremely helpful, and do give me inspiration to go ahead and try using r/c chassis. Hope your deployment to Afganistan went well, and you are safe and sound.

Salute !

Gary

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Gary,

Glad those links worked for you. I've considered making one just for fun, as it looks pretty straight forward and relatively simple. Mine may be made from a steamer instead of a diesel since that's what I prefer. To me, diesels are boring since all of their action is internal. Besides, who doesn't love a steam locomotive?

Tyler