Paper-replika Naboo Starfighter

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Here are some pics of my Naboo Starfighter build. My favorite Star Wars fighter! This kit is really fantastic, great colors beautiful design, and it went together really easily. In person, the 'chrome' effect really looks like metal. Julius really knows his stuff!
I sprayed 2 heavy coats of Krylon Triple-thick gloss to seal the parts, and then another coat after it was finished. Aleen's Turbo Tacky glue was used, but engines were attached with Lok-Tite superglue.
It's 110 cardstock, but the guns are my old standard round toothpics colored with a black Sharpie marker, and rubbed with a #2 pencil for a gunmetal color. This was a really enjoyable build, lots of fun to do! Hope you all like it, more stuff to follow....IMG_5178.JPG IMG_5180.JPG IMG_5181.JPG IMG_5179.JPG

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Great looking ship.
At the real thing they create the shiney part with silver-tape..
(when I first saw that I really had....oh this is how they do that :) )

Attachments

• star wars 2008 002.jpg
    star wars 2008 002.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks dnalor! I love to see how the 'real thing' is made, never would have thought it was tape!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Fantastic. Another first I had not seen built before. I had my doubts about this, but you have put them to rest! Excellent! ;)

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Thank you! It really is a great kit, the only mishap in building was after I glued the engines on, I realized that they were pointing outward, not straight ahead, so I removed them, trimmed the wingtips, and reattached them. This was my fault, not the kit.....I usually have at least one or two mishaps on every model, fortunately, this was an easy fix. I would suggest adding a slot on the mating surface of the engine and a corresponding tab on the wingtip for added strength. Otherwise, there's nothing I would change, awesome design. It's a real nice size too, 13 5/8'' long and 8 1/4'' wide.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think mishaps are common. That is the best part of this hobby, the ease that you can fix such mishaps. Nevertheless, the model is really exceptional looking. I wonder i High temperature paint, or Chrome paint, maybe with some sealer first, could be used on the front. wouldn't try it on the model. Some scratch paper first. Krylon makes some awesome stuff! :)

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, just print another page and you're good to go again! When I was building this, I saw a few pics of another build in progress, the modeler had glued foil to the chrome areas, and the parts looked amazing. If I ever build this one again, I might try some foil or paint.