Paper Patlabor - first build thread...

tazman3

Model Designer Wannabe
Nov 2, 2007
KY - USA
www.huffdojo.com
...yeah, well it is technically my first "build" thread. Time to put up, or shut up...right?! LOL...I'm just kidding. I really am posting this because I would like all the good constructive criticism I can get. I know you guys are true talents in this field, and I know you can point me in the right directions.

I have to thank Jules for making this first "labor" for us, and his subsequent "labor" kits are neat as well...and I plan on building them all. So for a few pics...I got started late with the pics now, so we're missing some progress on the feet and stand. Speaking of the stand...in the second pic below here...I had trouble getting the edges to come together. I am using 110 lb, so I figure I got some warpage there...when I build the "labor2" kit, I'm going to use 65lb, or a mixture of both. I'm trying to determine where it would be best and I may re-print if I have trouble in some areas.

Hey, thanks for any comments. I know it isn't "spectacular", but it at least is something!

Attachments

• labor1.JPG
    labor1.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 30
  • labor2.JPG
    labor2.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 23

Getter1

Jun 28, 2005
Spokane, WA
Tazman3,

Looking great so far ;) You will loke mecha kits, and I reccomend 65lb. paper myself. 110lb would be ok for the base but the rest should be fine on 65lb.

I've yet to build one of Jules' models but they look spectacular.

G1

ltla9000311

Aug 14, 2008
Fresno, California
I don't notice any warpage on the base tazman, it looks good!:thumb: Keep building and let us know of anything the rest of us should know when we start ours! Awaiting your next progress pics!

tazman3

Model Designer Wannabe
Nov 2, 2007
KY - USA
www.huffdojo.com
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Jules kits are really good. He just lacks in the instructions, which he just does on his website, since it is a free kit, I don't blame him. It would be a lot of work just to do instructions. He is missing a few numbers on the instructions, but nothing a novice like me couldn't handle...LOL...

Concerning the base, while it is sitting flat, it was the sides of all the pieces (6 in all in the main base) I couldn't get them to push together. I don't think this had anything to do with design, just my lack of skill.

From a distance, you can't tell it though, so I'm pleased with it.

Janx

Oct 2, 2007
Its looking promising so far, itching to get mine started but time is a cruel mistress. Keep it up Tazman! :)

tazman3

Model Designer Wannabe
Nov 2, 2007
KY - USA
www.huffdojo.com
Time for a small update...I know, it is taking me forever, but I'll get there. I can genuinely say that this has been my fav. model to build so far...it has some challenges, but nothing my meager skill cannot overcome! :thumb:

(That was an inside joke, in case you didn't get it...:twisted:)

Attachments

• l3.JPG
    l3.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 178
  • l4.JPG
    l4.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 179
  • l5.JPG
    l5.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 178

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Hey Taz,
Lookin' good! Glad to see ya got yer lazy carcass in gear finally! (It's a good thing we're still friends, right?)

Seriously, the best project is the one that interests you the most and I know how much you like Gundams and similar subjects. You'll learn quickly enough what works for you as you build. With the related experience you bring, this will be an awesome build.

Something to consider. Some builders paint their builds. If you are unhappy with the appearance (or just want to), you can seal the model with a spray coating and paint to your hearts content. This way you can showcase your finishing skills you already have.

Your Buddy,

tazman3

Model Designer Wannabe
Nov 2, 2007
KY - USA
www.huffdojo.com
LOL...Ron, how many years has it been since you introcuded me to paper models, and this is probably my first serious project. :cry: You know I'm slow...

You are right though, it is kind of like mountain biking...the only way to get better at it, and gain skill is to DO IT. So for all you guys out there that are afraid to tackle some projects...just do it! Keep in mind, it is only paper, and you can print it again, and try again...

Ron, I think I'm going to build this one "as is"....I want to see what is left over in terms of what I " could have fixed"...again a learning process. But fun just the same.