Paper Craft software Recomendation

cool_marxcat

cool_marxcat
Hello everyone, I'm new to this web forum and very happy to have found it. I have have been designing my own paper models using Microsoft Publisher for 6 years now and I enjoy it very much. However sometimes publisher is limited in its flexibility of ease of use.

Is there an affordable design package that someone here on the forum can recommend?

So far I have been designing buildings for my Hi-Rail O-Guage layout. However I would also like to be able to design aircraft and vehicles.

I have done some small vehicles and one tri motor but publisher has it's limits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Jed a.k.a. cool_marxcat (because I collect Marx tinplate Trains)

Malek

You can always try Sketchup or Blender for freeware 3D modeling programs, then export to Pepakura Designer

Rogerio Silva

Alternative

You can always try Sketchup or Blender for freeware 3D modeling programs, then export to Pepakura Designer

Malek is absolutely right, but I would like to point an alternative:

Blender 2.5 and lower have an unfolding script in it, which is great for papercraft. Blender 2.6x doesn't, but if you go to the Blender wiki page, you can download a script for it there.
The good thing is that it will generate your pieces in a SVG file, and the textures (already in the piece shape) in a PNG. So, you can use another freeware (I use Inkscape) to unite them.
I hope this helps!