Paper Craft Design Modification: Is it illegal?

sakrison

Banned
Dragos said:
Hello!
What if I have not started the thread and no one knew about my repainted paper model? Then nothing will not hapenned , so maybe there are more modelers that changes the colors of the model and no one knows them, what is going the designer to do about them?
That argument sounds too much like a variation on, "It's OK as long as I don't get caught." I don't buy it. Remember, someone very wise once said, "Good character is what you do when no else is looking."

At the very least, it all comes down to a question of courtesy. If you're going to use someone else's work to create your own, and then distribute that work, good manners alone require that you:
1. ask permission, and
2. give credit to the original designer.
So if you can't buy the idea of being legal, at least be polite.
Most designers will be be happy to let you use their work, if you ask first.
--David

Z

Zathros

@Barry, I am sorry to have offended you, in the other thread "Designers vs. Users" I made it clear that I believed that one had the right to make models of what ever they wish. I was not beating a dead horse, as this thread was started after the other one I assumed you may have read it. In actuality I am in total support of your right to make your models, 1oo%. As far as My Ekranoplan model a: I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. B: Mine is made from a 3 way drawing/blueprint graciously given to me by Billy Levifeld (SP?) and , my comments are not hypocritical, they are in line with all the discussions that are taking place in this forum. My comments were not directed to you personally or at all for that matter. The fact that you could not tell that my design was made from prints as I have posted pics of the build from "Rhino" in my thread belies that you have misunderstood my build and my intension. I will not however insult you or call you names, there is a lot of that going on. I did not address you personally, I will continue to voice my opinion. If I bother you that much please ignore me.

@Captain Rhino, You have eloquently stated the point I was trying to make.

samurai32

i agree with sakrison, if i were a designer and someone approached me about using one of my models to modify it or repaint it, i would be thrilled to hear that someone thought it was good enough in the first place to download and would be very interested to know how they thought it could be improved or changed to create a new model. lets face it when it comes to planes and ships there are so many different markings that can be used it would be a shame to limit a great model design to just one. so like it was stated, "be polite" it will make this hobby better for all.

cgutzmer

WOW! Blast from the past on this thread! ;)

Asking for permission is the key. For instance in my shop anything and everything can be repainted and sold through the shop. You even get a cut of the sales as the repainter :) You just need to seek my approval and the designer also gets to see the repaint for sales approval (for the first couple to make sure the quality is there)
Chris