Paper Clonetrooper Armor

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by idonutn0, Feb 1, 2008.

1. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

I found a really nice, high detail episode 3 clone model and I took it into Maya and optimized it and exported it to get it into Pepakura Designer. Its a total mess and I dont know what Im doing in Pepakura to get it to work out so that it can be built.
    My plane was to make it lifesized and display it.
    Im wondering if anyone out there could do the Pepakura part of it if I send them the model or tell me how to straighten out the mess in Pepakura. Are there any tutorials on Pepakura out there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Try the Sci-Fi Section...

You might want to re-post in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy section. I didn't pay attention to how the guy did it, but he built a set of full size armor pieces for an original series Cylon soldier there. Plus there is an ongoing discussion of using pepakura there as well.
  3. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

I had posted this in the Tanks and Armor section and was told to try posting it here too.
    I found a really nice, high detail episode 3 clone model and I took it into Maya and optimized it and exported it to get it into Pepakura Designer. Its a total mess and I dont know what Im doing in Pepakura to get it to work out so that it can be built.
    My plane was to make it lifesized and display it.
    Im wondering if anyone out there could do the Pepakura part of it if I send them the model or tell me how to straighten out the mess in Pepakura. Are there any tutorials on Pepakura out there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  4. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

some screengrabs of your problems would be helpful
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Merged it all over here - the other spot is for the likes of real military items :)
    Chris
  6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Probably it is a high-poly model, Pepakura (and any other unfolding software) don't work well with high-poly models, as there are too many faces to unfold, which Pepakura translates into hundreds of tiny useless parts.
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Well....with a control piece (some basic shape for scale), you could export individual parts and unfold the that way....
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

But it still unfolds them. I've reassembled models like that before and it's not that hard to reassemble them. It's just tedious. I'd be willing to give this model a try, idonutn0. I'll PM you with my e-maill addy. :cool:
  9. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

I had a co-worker take the model into 3D Studio max and simplify it, but I wont be able to work on it again until monday. Ill update here after I mess with it on monday.
  10. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

So, after being sick and away from work, I came in and worked on the helmet. I merged a bunch of points and edges on the model and that cleaned it up pretty well..
    I got the dome part of the helmet to lay out flat in pepakura and it looks like it will go together pretty well. Ill work on the rest of the face some tomorrow and see what I can do with it.
  11. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

sounds good look forward to seing some photos of the armour :thumb:
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i sent a pm but got no response.
  13. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

nothing, I sent you the simplified helmet obj file in an email. Let me know what you make of it.
  14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thanks just got it.will look at it this evening.
  15. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

Ok, so I worked on the face today and this is what Ive got so far!

[​IMG]

The layout in the flattened view isnt final, and the scale is off. Ill work on it more tomorrow.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be great as Ive only used Pepakura for a few days.
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

started messin with this mesh, and there is a fair amount of intersection in it. Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    this ear peice ive broken down to several parts to clean.
    Untitled-8 copy.jpg

the other ear is the same and the top fin needs cleaned.havnt looked furtheryet.
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

like an idiot i forgot to put my security key in.now ive got to start over!:(
  18. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

hmm... can anyone say "this years halloween costume"? :cool:
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks like a great start. Keep on Tre....er...uh..mmm... May the Farce Be With You!:thumb:
  20. idonutn0

idonutn0 New Member

Progress...

Ive been messing with the face just to see what would turn out from it. I was surprised that it turned out as good as it did.
    Its not up to full scale yet and Im still working with with the mess of tabs around the aerator part.

Front

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

If anyone has comments or suggestions on anything, please let me know. This is my first "from scratch" kit so any expert help would be great!