Paper Cardstock #1 Choice Powered Models

Discussion in 'Radio Control & Other Propulsion Methods' started by mbauer, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Paper Cardstock has some very interesting properties that allow it to be used for model designing.

It has been used for years in the model aviation market!
    http://www.jetex.org/archive/article-rigby-pw.html link showing designs for the old jet-x engines.

-Cheap
    -Glue doesn't try to kill/stone you!
    -Very forgiving during construction-easiest medium to get model to fly (afterall it is paper-just add a tab to a wing to correct for wing drop or for yaw problems do the same to the rudder)
    -No jigs needed!
    -durable (foam fails to fly after a nose-in, so does balsa-cardstock can usually be "pulled" straight for a couple of more flights)
    -easy to scale up or down
    -excellent color schemes (not much weight added)
    -model is done in less than a weekend in most cases (18-hours on 6.5 long SR71)

The downside:
    -Humidity!! Weight and balance changes with the Humidity! Don't even try to fly when it is above 90% Humidity!

Photo show how easy it is to mount the Rapier engine in the wrong place! Balance weight would overcome the engines thrust! Engine like Jetx must be mounted near the CG! Lesson learned after doing it the wrong way!!!
  2. mbauer

Paper Cardstock has some very interesting properties that allow it to be used for model designing.

It has been used for years in the model aviation market!
    http://www.jetex.org/archive/article-rigby-pw.html link showing designs for the old jet-x engines.

-Cheap
    -Glue doesn't try to kill/stone you!
    -Very forgiving during construction-easiest medium to get model to fly (afterall it is paper-just add a tab to a wing to correct for wing drop or for yaw problems do the same to the rudder)
    -No jigs needed!
    -durable (foam fails to fly after a nose-in, so does balsa-cardstock can usually be "pulled" straight for a couple of more flights)
    -easy to scale up or down
    -excellent color schemes (not much weight added)
    -model is done in less than a weekend in most cases (18-hours on 6.5 long SR71)

The downside:
    -Humidity!! Weight and balance changes with the Humidity! Don't even try to fly when it is above 90% Humidity!

Photo show how easy it is to mount the Rapier engine in the wrong place! Balance weight would overcome the engines thrust! Engine like Jetx must be mounted near the CG! Lesson learned after doing it the wrong way!!!
  3. paul a

paul a Member

mybe this would help when you place it in the wrong place.it,s like having auto pilot.i,m going to put one in the bell x-1.
  4. paul a

paul a Member

mybe this would help when you place it in the wrong place.it,s like having auto pilot.i,m going to put one in the bell x-1.
  5. mbauer

6. mbauer

7. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Where did you get this picture from?
  8. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Where did you get this picture from?
  9. bigtom

bigtom Member

Howdy Mike!

I still have a giant X-1 to build.... This looks like a fun experiment.

I haven't had cojones to fly the new SR-71 yet!!

It is BEAUTIFUL...... I will post a picture this weekend.
  10. bigtom

bigtom Member

Howdy Mike!

I still have a giant X-1 to build.... This looks like a fun experiment.

I haven't had cojones to fly the new SR-71 yet!!

It is BEAUTIFUL...... I will post a picture this weekend.
  11. paul a

paul a Member

one of the rc sights I watch in rc.
  12. paul a

paul a Member

one of the rc sights I watch in rc.
  13. paul a

paul a Member

go for it the more the merrier.
  14. paul a

paul a Member

go for it the more the merrier.
  15. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I was wondering if it was from maybe an old magazine or something. If you're using it as an "auto-pilot" or to stabilize an aircraft, it won't work. It might have a limited effect on an extremely stable platform, but then if your aircraft is already very stable there's no point to installing something like that.
  16. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I was wondering if it was from maybe an old magazine or something. If you're using it as an "auto-pilot" or to stabilize an aircraft, it won't work. It might have a limited effect on an extremely stable platform, but then if your aircraft is already very stable there's no point to installing something like that.
  17. paul a

paul a Member

it,s going to get the aircraft to land safely that is my goal how to set your balance point whit a full rocket motor or emty . this gets rid of the guest work.it will also help with the swing wing design I,m working on for the furture.
  18. paul a

paul a Member

it,s going to get the aircraft to land safely that is my goal how to set your balance point whit a full rocket motor or emty . this gets rid of the guest work.it will also help with the swing wing design I,m working on for the furture.
  19. paul a

paul a Member

mainly it,s the external factors that require this wind thermals bad load in the engine. bad throw and the list goes on.
  20. paul a

paul a Member

mainly it,s the external factors that require this wind thermals bad load in the engine. bad throw and the list goes on.