Papa Bear's Layout Party

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Papa Bear, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

OK, we have lumber on hand and some Diet Dr Pepper in the 'fridge so it's time to get started. This is going to be a 32" x 44" N-scale layout. This is the one that was discussed in the track planning forum and can be seen here.

I had started on the benchwork before the party began, but I decided to make some changes. So tonight, I had to disassemble what I built and reassemble it. Basically, the layout is a frame of 1 x 3's with some laid crossways to support a sheet of 1/4" plywood and 1" foamboard.

I got the frame reassembled and the plywood attached and then brought it inside so that Triscuit could give it a cat-scan.:D The cat-scan revealed one corner that needed to be repaired. Since it's getting dark and starting to rain, I'll do that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. shortliner

shortliner Member

Never thought you'd need a Cat-dozer to clear a Plywood Central site!
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. Art67

Art67 Member

Look forward to seeing how the layout comes along, nothing like the thrill of bare plywood, and all the ideas of grandeur that come with it. One question though, why are cats so interested in model railroading? Triscuit reminds me of my two cats...ardent model railroaders. They have NEVER not "volunteered" to help in ANY project on my railroad-whether it was welcome or not. Good luck on your layout. Stuart.
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Oviously Triscuit thinks your worksmanship is absolutely purrfect. :D
  5. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Thanks Guys. :wave: Jack, Triscuit may be a small cat, but she's surprisingly effective at moving things around! Stuart, I don't really understand it either, especially at this stage when there isn't anything except bare plywood. I guess it's something else she hasn't jumped on yet. I have to agree with you, Catt. It must be a sign of approval. I guess it would be bad if she didn't want to jump on it.

Here is a shot of the underside of the layout to show how it all goes together. I had considered just using the foam and not putting in any plywood as I had on previous projects. However, since I was planning on making this a portable layout, I decided to go with more rugged construction.

Next project is the legs. For now, I have some folding tables that it can be set on, but I'll want to give it it's own legs. I have been toying with the
    idea of putting it on a rolling cart. Matt Chibarro built one like this in the book Model Railroading in Small Spaces. The layout is a little too wide to fit through doorways, but it would make it more convenient to move around within the room for access, sweeping the floors, etc.

Attached Files:

6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Looks like you are making great progress!
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Mid Party (Bump)
  8. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Change of Direction or "Honey, I Shrunk the Layout!"

This probably never happens to any of you, but do you ever get started on one project and then suddenly have the inspiration to do something else? That's what happened with my project layout. Things were going along fine, but then after visiting Carl Arendt's website a few too many times, I suddenly had a craving for pizza...

[​IMG]

and it grew...
    [​IMG]

and it grew!
    [​IMG]
    This isn't exactly what I had planned for the layout party, but it's fun to build. At 24" x 24", it's a layout you can take into the living room and set up on a coffee table to build.

BTW, I still have the benchwork I started earlier. It's just "shelved" for now.
  9. N Gauger

That's so cool!!!
  10. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Looking good!
  11. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

That "Cat Box" is turning into a nice micro layout there Papa John. :thumb:
  12. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That sums up my entire experience with model railroading, John! :rolleyes: :D
    But hey, variety is the spice of life, they say!
    Speaking of spice, I'm looking forward to some more of that "pizza"! :thumb:
  13. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Progress

Mama Bear suggested that the lighthouse should go on top of the hill. But there's one thing wrong with that:

[​IMG]

She didn't anticipate the erosion problem! :eek:
    [​IMG]
  14. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

It keeps looking better & better, John!
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Cool! :thumb:

Val
  16. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Thanks, everybody for your kind words!:wave: I have made some more progress on the layout. It still amazes me that there's so much you can do even on a layout as small as this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On this last one, I tried out the macro feature on my new camera. Works great!
    [​IMG]
  17. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Structures for the layout

The Bear Point Baptist Church - my attempt at a cardboard building. It is loosely patterned after one that is on the grounds of the Pioneer Museum of Alabama.

Attached Files:

18. N Gauger

That's neat!!!!!
  19. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Easter Sunday 1886. The Bear Point Railroad drops off passengers for the morning worship service.

Happy Easter!:wave:

Attached Files:

20. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Its cummin along great. Cant wait to see whats next!!!:)

Sometimes I wish I had gone with N Scale instead of HO Scale cause you just can fit so much more in an area. sign1 sign1 But I went with HO Scale and im not changin it now