painting your layout

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Would you paint before of after laying track?
I am thinking of doing it before on my next project.
The first 2 time I tried to do it after and found that it is a royal pain to paint in between n gauge ties. wall1
Also, what colr paints do u use?
I only have black and green at the moment. I had brown at one time but can't find it.
I use oil based paints because I love the smell. :p

Roch

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
It depends....If you're talking flex track, it's useless to paint beforehand. The first "flexing" will reveal all the little unpainted spots under the "spike heads". If you're talking "rigid" snap-track (B'mann, Kato, Atlas) you can probably get away with it, and just do a little touch up here and there.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Latex will work just fine Roch. :) I painted my road beds before laying track.
Ballasting covered any imperfections later. I used a sort of gray/tan color that I just happened to find in pint sized cans at my local hardware store.
Ralph

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
It depends....If you're talking flex track, it's useless to paint beforehand. The first "flexing" will reveal all the little unpainted spots under the "spike heads". If you're talking "rigid" snap-track (B'mann, Kato, Atlas) you can probably get away with it, and just do a little touch up here and there.

I wish I had some flex track. I would love to make a layout that is not restricted to the premade curves.

It is all atlas stiff track. I love the track, but I messed up when I bought it because my ride was in a hurry. wall1 I should make him return it and pay the difference for flex track. :curse:

roch