Painting Woodland Scenics Kits

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My wife did hers at my side while I was 'bashin' an' buildin' on other stuff. She'd never slung paint before this project and was a great pupil. I had her paint the whole thing Floquil Depot Buff, a yellow tan like color. Then she drybrushed brick red over it all, being careful not to get it in the mortar lines. Then she went back and picked out individual bricks with lighter and darker shades of brick red. She did the same for the stone foundation. Everything else she colored to her liking. I led her to add two details. Lights (the brightness doesn't do justice to the size of the bulbs, they are small) over the front sign and rear door as seen here and a tarpaper roof done in layered tissue paper. Needless to say, I'm more than a bit proud of her first effort :thumb:

Attachments

• tavern.jpg
    tavern.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 124

ak-milw

May 16, 2004
I have always found it easier to prime the metal kits before painting. I use a light gray primer. Seems to make the top paint stick better. Also washing before doing anything to get the oily film off the kit!;)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hey Bob, this is a first class result for a 'beginner's work'. Your wife must have a natural talent for this! :thumb:

And it's just great when you also can be partners in modeling. Congratulations! :)

Ron

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Hey Bob,
Tell youir wife great job. I had quite a time just glueing mine together. The tavern castings have lots of little details, like the gas/electric meters and piping that she brought to life. The working lights are a nice touch as well. I was also debating whether to paint the motar color first, then the bricks (like your wife did) or vice versa.

After I filed off all the flashing, I had to re-carve the brick motar lines on all the edges. I'm kitbashing mine into an 1880's jail so won't be using the lights or utilities. Could you post a pic and some info on how she did the tar paper roof? The kit just says to use card stock.

Will,
thanks for the link re the painting tips. Some really good info there.
Doc

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. She'd love to do more but motherhood, homeschooling and singin' keeps her pretty busy. Doc, we can't claim any credit for the technique, it's been around for years. We used plain tissue paper cut to a scale 3 foot width. Just like real roofers, "tar" the roof first using flat black or Floquil Grimey Black, placing the strips into the still wet paint as you go, curving up either side about a foot. Once dry, paint the whole thing with you "tar" color paint. Weather it with powdered pastels then fix it in place with Krylon Matte Finish, a much more economical alternative to Testor's Dulcote. The final touch is carefully applied gloss black paint. Using a 000 brush, just run a thin strip along the edges of the seams and along the tops of the sides to represent tar that has seeped out. Snuff, snuff, ahhhhhhh...you can just smell the asphalt.

Attachments

• tavern.jpg
    tavern.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 72