Painting the backscene

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
This I always leave to my good friend of 14 years John Toll, known to most of you as Johan, I have never been very good with a big paint brush in my hand, but John is an excellent artist when it comes to backscene painting. He paints my backscenes, I do all the hard work on his Railroad .:D:D

BTW, This was painted TODAY

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• johan.jpg
    johan.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 159

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
re

Since I should not hold a brush no matter what size it is, what would be a recommended backdrop color or mix. As seen in my pic in the fstop thread my walls are going to need some help. If nothing else a coat of paint put on with a roller. That I can handle.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Hey RaiderCTE - There was an excellent "how-to" thread on painting backdrops here at The Gauge a while back. If you can't find it maybe someone can point you to it.

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Shamus, even your backdrops are simply majestic, what an inspiration!
In your photo, is Johan standing in a popout section, or is the layout away from the wall? (I can't tell from the photo).

I was thinking of keeping my future layout several inches away from the wall for lighting purposes.

Stan

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Shamus, BTW: I really love these wider angle photos showing more of a broad picture of your work. There is another one somewhere that shows a man who is strikingly similar to a shamafox; it's one of my favorite photo's because it give me perspective. Of course the close ups are outstanding and awe inspiring.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi gang and thanks,

Douglas, the layout at that point is 1' -2" away from the wall all down the side, I can go in sideways all the way down. (Some folf CAN'T) LOL

Shamus
wink.gif

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by billk
Hey RaiderCTE - There was an excellent "how-to" thread on painting backdrops here at The Gauge a while back. If you can't find it maybe someone can point you to it.

Raider,

If I remember correctly, Gavin Miller also did an excellent piece in this forum back in around September or October.