Painting rock

wpyr

HI I am wondering if you guys would know and techniques on painting rocks on foam. I have painted the area a light gray and I dont know what to do next.

Nazgul

wpwr.....I don't know how big of an area you are talking about but I start by painting it black (I want it dark in the recesses and underneath to show depth:
scenery013.jpg

Then I spray on a medium brown (in your case, gray)....not too heavy, let some of the black show through:
scenery015.jpg

Lastly, I use a sea sponge (cut to the size of a quarter) to dab on a light shade of brown or gray, as the case may be. Dab a piece of newspaper or something first to get most of the paint off the sponge (this is just to highlight). Do not slide the sponge on the rock surface...just dab it. Here is the result:
scenery016.jpg

photos251.jpg

You can also spritz it with a very thin wash of black paint and water to add contrast and seep into the nooks and crannies.
hope that helps:thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

That is really good steve. I do it simular except I add the black last as a wash to create the depth. I also drybrush (much like your sponge) the accent color after I use the black wash.
The important thing to remeber about painting foam it to use a water based acyrilic paint so that the paint doen't attack the foam the another two reasons I'll use acyrilics are cost (it's really cheap at a craft store) and the ability to blend the colours together.

Nazgul

wpyr...The flat "rock" in my last pic is foam.
Glen is absolutely right...be sure to use acrylic (water-based) paint.
What I do is one way to do it....take some scrap pieces of foam and experiment and see what works best for you.

Glen...Thanks....the next time I do some rocks I will try the black last.

steamhead

Steve...Spray I know...Spit I know....But "spritz"..?? This is the best condensed tutorail on rock painting..!! :thumb:

How 'bout one (condensed) on those rock formations...?? :mrgreen:

BTW...what kind of paint do you use..?

Russ Bellinis

He mentioned acryllics as being really cheap at the craft store. I suspect he is using Ceramcoat, Apple, or another brand from a store like Tall Mouse or Micheals. I think the craft paints are also available at Wal Mart as well.

Glen Haasdyk

I usually don't pay more than 1.50 a bottle for my craft paints. I use sandstone, slate grey for the main rock colors and an Iron oxide for the dry drybrushing. a flat black or charcol grey works for the black wash. I have heard of modelers drybrushing a little flat whit on the rock tops to simulate sunlight hitting them.