painting most or all

garyj36

Nov 14, 2004
Oklahoma city Oklahoma
I'm building a Graff spee I downloaded now and discovered card modeling is possible.. However , my edges dont look so good. I did find however with the hardened glue my cardstock (110 lb) is sandable. So I took my turret out and sprayed it Tamiya haze gray. Im thinking about painting all but the wood decks and drilling out the portholes and adding doors and whatnot from cardstock scrap. Until my skills improve , I think it will maake my ressults look better. Anyone paint most or all?

Modelling is Modelling!

Gary: IMHO, You build a model, out of whatever material, to suit yourself, and finish it in whatever medium suits you best, to the best of your ability.The aim is authenticity in miniature. Look at the "no holds barred" large ship competition. There is another member of this forum that has figured out a way to print out a paper model on to .005 white styrene sheet: I follow this thread with interest!!

That having been said: I'll paint 'em if I have to, and I'll take a B&W paper model over an incorrect colour printed one every time. And if the only choice I have is a wrong-coloured printed one, as long as it's structurally correct, well, I can paint as well as glue, can't I?

El Fisho

garyj36

Nov 14, 2004
Oklahoma city Oklahoma
Its funny , I built the same turret in streyne using .040 for the formers and .015 to skin it and the card turret feels as strong. The thing is , streyne dosnt come 250 sheets for $10. Card modeling is an apeal largely due to economics. But thats not to say one couldnt redo a deck with card strips much the same as one would basswood or streyne. Although Im a newbie here. I have a fleet of multimedia scratchbuilds and hope to bring a few ideas to the table. Neat as straight off the printer is. Its still just another material to master. And the more peaple that come onboard and buy kits (good lord theyre cheap) the more new kits publishers will produce. And I must say how impressed I am with the friendly helpfull nature of you guys.

Gary, you're right about the economics of card modeling. Even the printed commercial kits are very reasonable because once purrchased you scan them onto disc or into a file and build from the copies saving the original for source material. That way if you do screw up (and you will) there is not as much emotional attachment. Of the several modeling boards I frequent this one seems to have the most ingeneous members when it comes to pushing the envelope of materials. Just check out the stuff the local guru Gil does with aluminum paper and casting parts from paper. As to strenght check out my Metcalf thread in the Large Ship Models as Built forum (I have got to get my rear in gear and finish it). There is a section of the thread that describes a test build to find out the strength of the framing method I use.

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Anyone paint most or all?
Have been known to, after all paper/card is perfectly valid just as a basic structural material for models.
Straight off the printer has the advantage that it can be fully web portable. Other materials aren't.
Never really saw the need to go to the trouble of transferring onto plastic sheet when card is so much easier both to draw or print on and to work with; as well as cheaper. OK, if you want to plastisize and use solvent cements just soak the sheets or the cut parts after printing with dilute varnish (or hot fuel proofer or banana oil or the product of the lac beetle or something ... ). Just as workable.
Meanwhile you might care to check out
http://www.ziewe.de/schiffe.htm
Bin doin his thing with plastic from card for a while this lad has.

Cheers
Maurice