painted track

jkristia

Today I painted the track after it was ballasted. I am pretty much satisfied with the result except some of it got too much grimy black and I guess I will lighten it up by dry-brushing it with some lighter colors.

There are more pictures in my webshot album.

http://community.webshots.com/album/61130360zIWIIf

Jesper

Attachments

• img_2264.jpg
    img_2264.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 142
Jesper, Don't touch a thing, it's perfect :eek: .
What a magnificent bit of handlaying youve done, I'm in awe of it all !!!!! It's top drawer stuff sir!!
Can't believe you did all that so quickly too, heck, seems like yesterday you posted your start on it.

Errol

Gary Pfeil

Looks awesome Jesper! Particularly the crossing. Is it wired yet? I'd like to know how you go about gapping and powering it.

Gary

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
The colour looks like this is a busy track so not much chance for rust to develop. I like the effect you have created Jasper. Don't change it.

Uteram

I agree with everyone else. Don't change a thing!!!! It looks great.

What I've found with weathering is that it is almost impossible to over do it, unless you get too careless. If art imitates, real life, think of it like that and it makes weathering that much easier.

jkristia

Well thank you all for the kind words.

>>Is it wired yet? I'd like to know how you go about gapping and powering it.

Hmm, I knew this question would come, and the answer is ‘no’, I have kind of decided that this layout is only a test layout / diorama and I was so anxious to see what it would look like ballasted and painted that I didn’t bother wire and gap it. So for now it will only be a non-functional technique – practicing layout. But soon I will start replacing some track on the real layout with hand laid C40 track, just waiting for the cork roadbed, and (of course) that track will be wired and functional.

Jesper

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jesper, well done, excellent looking trackwork. You did a real nice job of weathering and painting the track. I wouldn't touch a thing.

Shamus

RailRon

The color looks just right, Jesper. I wouldn't change it anymore, too. For my eyes it is perfect.

I'd like to second Gary about that crossing. I'll have the same situation on my pike - two opposing turnouts with crossing branch lines. So I am looking for every bit of information concerning gapping and wiring.

I guess that many of us have the same problem. Perhaps somebody else out in Gaugerland has already mastered this situation and could give some hints and advice... :confused:

Ron

jkristia

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Uteram: The track is handlaid code 40 n scale on PC ties.

RailRon: I haven't wired the layout, and have kind of decided not to do it, it's more a practice layout for handlaying and possibly also for scenery and scratch building buildings, like a diorama.

Jesper

Gary Pfeil

Jesper, That's a pretty major project for practicing laying track! My practice diorama had just one turnout on it, then I said to myself "OK, I can do this" Might I suggest you go ahead and wire it, after all, you need the practice at that as well. Then you'll be able to run it!

Gary

Hi Jesper, what a pretty bit of tracklaying!! I'm with Gary got to wire it. I've gotten only two turnouts layed and have stopped till I get a plan for the manual throws. I keep eyeing the wire clothes hangers in the closet, hmm....but I think I'm going to pay a visit to the RC plane shop here and take a look at the servo pushrod selection.

t.