Paint

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Hello all, I know this may be a dumb question to some, but im looking for an inexpensive spray paint for my layout. I am spraying styrofoam and any type of petroleum based propellant/ based paint is not good. It gives a great effect, but the fumes, etc.. could be killer. I could probably use a brush on latex, just not that exciting for me. Any ideas what brand / type of spray paints that I could use? Thanx . Happy Holidays to all, and may all your days be blessed with the friendship of others.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I'm not familiar with any inexpensive spray paint that doesn't come with noxious odors. One other thing, I know that spray paint disintegrates white beaded styrofoam but I don't know about the blue or pink kind of foam. I'd go with the brush on latex.

Regards,
Ralph

N

nachoman

I second that. Keep your eye out in paint departments for latex paint that has been mixed to the wrong color. I found a suitable brown last week, 1$ for a quart. There are latex based spray cans, but I have never used one and will be much more expensive in the long run, especially if your layout is large. If you really want to spray, consider spraying latex from an airbrush or airless sprayer made for house painting.

kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
You can buy latex in spray cans, but it is not cheap and is very limited in color. I'm with the others, brush on latex or acrylic is your best bet. I got a gallon of latex custom-mixed to what I thought was a good dirt color at Wal-Mart for less than $10. Setting it up to spray just isn't worth the time or effort, in my opinion anyway...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If you really want to spray, try an inexpensive external mix airbrush (the kind with the jar hanging out in front of the tip). With a cheap compressor, it should work fine for landscaping/scenicking. You will have to thin whatever paint you choose, but apparently craft paints (little $1 bottles) can be thinned with windshield washer fluid for spraying (ask TomPM about this).

Remember though that even if you cannot smell anything, it doesn't mean the spray is lung-friendly. As you spray, some paint dries in the air and can be inhaled, so always use a suitable mask.

Andrew